Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Question

Craigslist in my area has a vintage machine listed at a great price. It is in a wooden case with the arched top. She has no original book with it and doesn't know the model number. Is there more than one model that came in these old cases? If so how do I tell them apart? Ann in TN
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Blog Entries
    Pretty machine - it has a lovely scrolled faceplate. Most likely a 128 or a 99. They are 3/4 size machines that sew like they are full size, but they are not light. The serial number should be on a plate in front of the pillar. That will help you find the year and the model. I'm guessing 99, but it's hard to tell from the back.

You really need to have the serial number in order to determine the age. It will also give you the model number.

Blog Entries
    Can you ask her to give you the serial number so that you can look up which one it is? :D:D:D

It's a 201 - go buy it! LOL!

Actually, it seems to have a knee-lifter mechanism on the back - hard to tell for sure, but I think this kind of 201 is a 1200. I just saw a discussion on these the other day, but I can't remember where.

PS: if you think it's a great price, I would definitely go get it. The 201 is one of the best machines Singer ever made - the 1200 has a knee-lever foot lifter, but they're basically the same machine. Potted motor, class 66 bobbins, standard 15x1 needles. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    It's a 201 - go buy it! LOL!

Actually, it seems to have a knee-lifter mechanism on the back - hard to tell for sure, but I think this kind of 201 is a 1200. I just saw a discussion on these the other day, but I can't remember where.

PS: if you think it's a great price, I would definitely go get it. The 201 is one of the best machines Singer ever made - the 1200 has a knee-lever foot lifter, but they're basically the same machine. Potted motor, class 66 bobbins, standard 15x1 needles. :)
    Poly, for it to have a knee lifter it would have to be in a cabinet. But you're right, I too think it's a 201.

Always makes me wonder why they don't show a good picture of the front of the machine.

This thing circled in the picture is a foot lifter - with the right knee lever, you can lift the presser foot with your knee.

My industrial would have had the knee lever sticking up out of the cabinet to engage with this part, but with a portable, it sticks out of the box/base part of the case.

Singer 1200
    Name:  Attachment-233438.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  47.7 KB

So did you go buy it???? Inquiring minds and curiosity and all that.... :)

It had been sold by the time I replied. I did find a 15-91 at an estate sale for a decent price. Will have to go through her and see what she needs. Billy said to be sure and check the wiring. Cord doesn't seem too brittle but want everything working right. Here is her picture. Came with cabinet and bench plus a lot of other stuff. Ann in TN

My new project
    Name:  Attachment-235804.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  52.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast