Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Sewing Machine Question~ >

Vintage Sewing Machine Question~

Vintage Sewing Machine Question~

Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 PM

I have a question for all your great ladies out there.

I have a vintage sewing machine that I got at a recycling center for cheap. It is built into a cabinet and takes up alot of room but it's an awesome machine.

One of the ladies in my mom's quilt class said I was a fool to be using it. Am I? I mean I have three other used machines that I can use (none of which are younger than I am). But I love the older one. I do not use my Grandmother's machine (as old as the one I do use) becuase it was my grandma's.

So I guess I am asking, should I not use the Vintage machine?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 PM

If you're a fool to be using a vintage machine, then you're in GREAT company!! Lots of us here love and use our vintage machines...

Tell that old battleaxe to shove it... ;)

(And Grandma would be proud for you to use HER machine...go ahead...the chances that you'll wear it out are slim and next to none!!)

Post pics please?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Use it! They are made to be used. You can't hurt it by using it. It's a waste not to. Besides they often have a superior stitch.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM

The lady in that class doesn't know what she is talking about, you ask any quilter, of any experience. The older machines are tough, sturdy and heavier than the modern ones so that don't start "wandering" when you are quilting. All the machines that I have, 3 of which are "vintage" do the most amazing straight stitch, and I do mean straight and I find the free-motion on them is second to none. Just keep it dusted n oiled and it will last you for your lifetime and beyond unlike the modern ones. I spent nigh on £1000 on my Elna 7200 6 years ago, last year I spent £50 on a Singer Capri, circa 1950??? and I much prefer the old Singer.

I found to my cost that all the bells n whistles on the Elna are not needed for quilting, just a straight stitch, free-motion facility and possibly a zig-zag stitch is all you need IMO :lol:

What model and make is your machine?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM

Man oh man, Is there a bunch of fools on this board then. I love to quilt with any of my old vintage machines. Evidently they have never had the pleasure of using one huh? If you like quilting on it then join the rest of us and quilt to your hearts content, (on you vintage machine) and enjoy!!!
Please post some pictures of your treasures.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
If you're a fool to be using a vintage machine, then you're in GREAT company!! Lots of us here love and use our vintage machines...

Tell that old battleaxe to shove it... ;)

(And Grandma would be proud for you to use HER machine...go ahead...the chances that you'll wear it out are slim and next to none!!)

Post pics please?
I second your suggestion to tell the old Battleaxes. Charlee!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

If you love it and it works nicely, why not use it. I have three machines, one 1980's Singer, a 1940/50's Pinnock (currently in use) and a 1912 Singer Treadle which I intend to restore this year (and I definitely will be using it).

I know there are members of this board who only use vintage and their quilts and projects are stunning. Sure you can get some very decorative effects with the newer machines, and a lot of people spend a small fortune on the whizz-bang computerised, all-singing, all-dancing machines. They too make lovely items.

It's all down to personal preference...I love retro and antique and have always said a firm "No Thank You" when my husband has offered to buy me a new/computerised machine. I would love to learn to long arm quilt in the future and maybe take my quilting further if I continue to improve, so that is a possibility down the track.

Stop by the Vintage Machine Shop pages and take a look at what's happening there....you will be amazed at what people do with vintage machines.

Not forgetting our band of die-hard handquilters....they don't use machines at all and still produce exquisite, prize-winning quilts.

I say each to their own and let's just enjoy and continue to quilt, no matter our preferred method.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:43 PM

My Vintage Machine I use is a 1932ish Domestic. As far as we can tell it was made on or around 1932. And it's as sturdy as an ox. And you are right it is solid as a rock. And I've been told by my mom that it sews better than her new machien with all the bells and whistles. Though the Domestic came with all the orignal accessories and even the original manual (which was a good thing since it threads sideways). It looked like it had never been used.

I can't use my Grandmother's machine becuase it is missing the spring that pushes down the foot. We can't figure out how to get a new one.

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
The lady in that class doesn't know what she is talking about, you ask any quilter, of any experience. The older machines are tough, sturdy and heavier than the modern ones so that don't start "wandering" when you are quilting. All the machines that I have, 3 of which are "vintage" do the most amazing straight stitch, and I do mean straight and I find the free-motion on them is second to none. Just keep it dusted n oiled and it will last you for your lifetime and beyond unlike the modern ones. I spent nigh on £1000 on my Elna 7200 6 years ago, last year I spent £50 on a Singer Capri, circa 1950??? and I much prefer the old Singer.

I found to my cost that all the bells n whistles on the Elna are not needed for quilting, just a straight stitch, free-motion facility and possibly a zig-zag stitch is all you need IMO :lol:

What model and make is your machine?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:47 PM

I'm one of those fools she refered to. I love my vintage machines. I have 14 sewing machines and only one of them was made after 1963. Use your Grandma's machine. You won't ware it out.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM

ChristyK1--what make and model is you Grandmother's machine ?
there are a lot of places to find vintage parts. several Yahoo groups that are only for vintage machines. check them out, they are always most helpful.