View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 PM
earthwalker
Power Poster

If you love it and it works nicely, why not use it. I have three machines, one 1980's Singer, a 1940/50's Pinnock (currently in use) and a 1912 Singer Treadle which I intend to restore this year (and I definitely will be using it).

I know there are members of this board who only use vintage and their quilts and projects are stunning. Sure you can get some very decorative effects with the newer machines, and a lot of people spend a small fortune on the whizz-bang computerised, all-singing, all-dancing machines. They too make lovely items.

It's all down to personal preference...I love retro and antique and have always said a firm "No Thank You" when my husband has offered to buy me a new/computerised machine. I would love to learn to long arm quilt in the future and maybe take my quilting further if I continue to improve, so that is a possibility down the track.

Stop by the Vintage Machine Shop pages and take a look at what's happening there....you will be amazed at what people do with vintage machines.

Not forgetting our band of die-hard handquilters....they don't use machines at all and still produce exquisite, prize-winning quilts.

I say each to their own and let's just enjoy and continue to quilt, no matter our preferred method.