Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Singer, Which needle, and how? >

Vintage Singer, Which needle, and how?

Vintage Singer, Which needle, and how?

Old 09-10-2011, 07:42 AM

Here's a chart that you can print off that tells which needle is needed and how the needle goes into each vintage Singer. I hope this helps others.

http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/needles/

OOPS!! I almost forgot to paste the link! :oops:
Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Thank you
Old 09-10-2011, 09:11 AM

Thank you BUNCHES!!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:04 AM

Thank you so much for sharing. I have printed it off already and will add it to my vintage file of information.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Be careful...I just looked up the Singer 15 on that list that tells you to insert the needle with the flat side to the right and thread it from left to right. I don't know if it's model specific, the needle on my 15-91 and 15-86 gets inserted with the flat side pointing to the left and gets threaded from right to left through the eye of the needle. I just checked the manual to make sure I remembered correctly.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Well, sorry if it's wrong on some of them. The best thing is to look at your machine and see where the last little loop for the thread to go through before it goes into the needle. That will tell you which side it is to be threaded from.
I thought the chart was good for knowing which needles some of the machines need, because from what I understand, they don't all take the same ones. Mine all do, so that's good for me.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
Well, sorry if it's wrong on some of them. The best thing is to look at your machine and see where the last little loop for the thread to go through before it goes into the needle. That will tell you which side it is to be threaded from.
I thought the chart was good for knowing which needles some of the machines need, because from what I understand, they don't all take the same ones. Mine all do, so that's good for me.
No, it is a great resource. I just wanted folks to be careful because I did find that mistake on it. I noticed it because I have a 15 and was surprised. All the rest are probably correct--go figure! Never hurts to double check. Thanks so much for the info about the last loop--that's going to help me remember which machine I'm using when I need to thread it. My 15's are threaded from right to left and 66's are threaded from left to right! Now there's no need for charts or manuals! :lol:
Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 PM

There are some machines that take different needles, so I thought that might help others too.
My Mom was a home-ec teacher and taught me to sew. She is the one who told me about that last little loop by the needle, and I never forgot it.
I first started sewing doll clothes on her sewing machine, and went from there...