Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Retreat - What should I take? >

Quilt Retreat - What should I take?

Quilt Retreat - What should I take?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:11 PM

I am going on my first quilt retreat and I was wondering if you had any suggestions on what I should take? Any feedback would be appreciated!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:40 PM

First check to see what things will be provided, such as bedding, towels, lights, tables pots and pans, utensils fridge or freezer etc.
If you have everything cut out and ready to sew, it works out great, but take extra fabric anyway. A cutting board, rotary cutter, scissors, seam ripper, needles thread,glue, pins glasses, plenty of bobbins, brush for cleaning lint, oil for bobbin hook, and rulers. Power cords, surge protector, and make sure power cord and foot peddle are packed. Iron, small padded board for pressing. Some retreats will have cutting table and ironing table for everyone to use. I hope this helps, I am going to a retreat next week, and I'm stressing out what to do ahead to prepare also, so Ill be watching to see if I have forgotten anything.
Treats or small gifts for the other people going to retreat, may want to lay one on their pillow during the day, and wa la
they love it.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:05 PM
BMP

I will be going to my 1st one the first weekend in November...I cant wait! I have a list started hoping I dont forget anything either..
Old 09-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Best to ask the organizers for the details of what to take. Every retreat is different as to the must takes, might takes, and don't bother.

Projects? do they provide all you need? or is it whatever you want to work on? Again, each is different, so know before you go!

Most important ... go well rested and take an easy going attitude and be ready to go with the flow!

Have Fun!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Take bananas! Take whole milk. box of cereal for midnight!
We remember people calling out for 7 in zippers for the wallets. Bring fusible webbing, bobbins, seam ripper, and bring something fast to work on; a pillow case or table runner. Don't forget your dental floss and advil. Bring a small tablet for websites, directions, anything you want to note. and bring your camera!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:36 PM

extension cord. There is also a portable folding ott lite that has been a life saver for night sewing.

of course - I also take a blender and the makings of some yummy cocktails!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by par4theday
Power cords, surge protector, and make sure power cord and foot peddle are packed.
Of all the things on your list, the above are the ones I have seen people forget the most...and they are so necessary..so always double check that these are packed before you leave home!

So disappointing to be at a retreat, thinking you are ready to sew, and then find out that you don't have your power cord or foot pedal. Almost anything else someone else will be able to help you out with, but not these.

You can bring too much, but it is pretty hard...better than not going with enough. Make lists of everything you think you will need, and then check off as you are packing.

And have fun...retreats are so inspiring...seeing what everyone else is doing...getting so much time to sew...away from all that needs to be done at home....great to get away!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:46 PM

from Fons & Porter: Emergency contact information and/or medical information. A quilter had a problem and nobody knew who to call.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 PM

There was a thread started here a couple of months ago compiling a list of what to take I think Crafty started it may find it in searchsorry don't remember the tital but will look Found it ! posted on march 12,11 started by Crafty Bear titled: Do you use check list when you go on quilting retreat or sew days
Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 PM

This exact question was posted just a couple of days ago. You might check there for answers, also.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-151437-1.htm