Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VSMS: Difference between Singer 115 and Singer 15-30 machines? >

VSMS: Difference between Singer 115 and Singer 15-30 machines?

VSMS: Difference between Singer 115 and Singer 15-30 machines?

Old 09-27-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
I think the 115's have a rotary hook and the 15's have oscillating hooks.
Now that's a big difference, thanks.
Is one better than the other? If you had a choice between a 115 rotary and a 15 oscillating, which would you choose and why? (I once had a chance to buy a 115. I passed it up because I've read what excellent machines the model 15's are and I didn't know anything about the 115. Your answers will help me to make a good decision in the future since I want to own one or the other.) Thanks everyone!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:49 PM

I think the rotary hook is even more "forgiving" about hook/loop timing than the vertical oscillating hook, which makes it more reliable a stitcher when making fast changes in direction. :)
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM

I'd snag a 115 in a heartbeat...there aren't many of them out there!

Pretty machine Kim...have fun with it! :)
Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 AM
me2

I've had great success using Mothers Mag Wheel paste cleaner on the silery/chrome parts. Rusty looking handwheels turned out shiny & new looking. I also like the evaporust bath first, for the removable parts, followed by the Mothers to polish.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:17 PM

I've got the machine back on the table to clean. Sure enough, there were bright, beautiful decals underneath some total black oil build up. What was flat black in places, now has some awesome looking decals. There are some smallish nicks here and there in the decals, and one spot where it looks like whom ever did the decals... messed them up? And added gold paint to them??? Did Singer ever sell "B grade" or "factory 2nd" machines? Very curious.

So far, I haven't been able to unlock the stop washer and remove the wheel. Packed up solid with old layers of grime. It's soaking. Evaporust on the parts, (yeah, I bought some!) as soon as I can get that wheel off.

Thanks Charlee and all... it's been super fun.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:57 PM

I recently bought a 15-30. It was missing the slide plate and the needle plate is the black color also. I got a slide plate and I am having a wooden base built for it. Right now it is sitting in a plastic base. I put a hand crank on it. Mine looked like a lot like yours before cleaning - the "N" on the back is even worn in the same place. Here's what they look like cleaned up:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265940.jpe  
Old 10-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Aren't they beautiful??? :) I have a 27 with these decals, but mine aren't nearly in so good a condition as these.

kwendt, do you know if you have a full rotary or oscillating hook, yet? Inquiring minds..... ;)
Old 10-25-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Aren't they beautiful??? :) I have a 27 with these decals, but mine aren't nearly in so good a condition as these.

kwendt, do you know if you have a full rotary or oscillating hook, yet? Inquiring minds..... ;)
Good question. It's an Oscillating hook.

Deplaylady... that's a beautiful crank machine there. My decals cleaned up really nice. Got most of the black off her, unfroze the stop motion knob and got her working again (at least, moving, can't really test her fully until she's back in her treadle. Working on the cabinet and irons now.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt

Good question. It's an Oscillating hook.

Deplaylady... that's a beautiful crank machine there. My decals cleaned up really nice. Got most of the black off her, unfroze the stop motion knob and got her working again (at least, moving, can't really test her fully until she's back in her treadle. Working on the cabinet and irons now.
Here's what she looks like now that I have her in the wooden box that she belongs in. I bought a box someone built that had been covered in wall paper, removed the wallpaper and covered it in veneer. (I replaced the black needle plate because I couldn't find a slide plate to match it.)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277123.jpe  
Old 10-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about the 115's, but that is going to be a gorgeous machine when it's cleaned. Except for that one small place on the back of the bed and the "Singer" on the back of the arm, you might be able get back all the color of the original decals. How fabulous! :)

It looks like you should be able to replace the face plate & tensioner with a decorated one from the 30's. Do you have another 15 that you could try it with to see if it works?

These old tensioners are really good ones, though - a couple of my treadles have them and once you get the two disks polished, they work beautifully. :)
I have to agree on the tension. Looks like it should clean up real nice. I have used tooth paste with baking soda on chrome before - didn't need to buff at all.