Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: walking foot question

walking foot question

hello there,
    looking for opinons.
    I have never used a walking foot before but got one for xmas. works great on longer runs or bigger pieces but on 1.5" or 2" pieces I'm thinking its overkill and is not needed. Experiencing some fabrics getting eaten. i tried a leader but still wondering if its not a good use for little pieces. what do you think?
    still a real novice and working up my nerve to try some smaller piecing that really requies some precision.

are you trying to quilt (sandwiched with backing & batting) 1 1/2" & 2" pieces of fabric????
    the walking foot is generally used for straight line quilting on sandwiched pieces- it walks along on the thicker layers- where a regular foot may cause puckering/pulling. some people use their walking foot for the bindings too-again multiple layers.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

hmmm. interesting. i thought it was for 1/4 inch seams. that edge that is on it must be a regulator instead of some sort. thanks for explaining!

Blog Entries
    i usually don't use mine to piece. just to quilt. i use my 1/4 foot to piece. and binding i may use the 1/4 foot or another or even the walking foot.

Quote Originally Posted by malindaann View Post
    hmmm. interesting. i thought it was for 1/4 inch seams. that edge that is on it must be a regulator instead of some sort. thanks for explaining!
    Just out of curiosity, what machine do you have? It would be good to see the foot you are using.

I don't use my walking foot to piece, but I do use it to sew on borders, bindings and to quilt straight lines. If I have rows of blocks to piece together, I'll use it for that too.

A walking foot is mainly for thicker pieces where the bottom layer would creep away from the top layer. As others have said, it is great for binding, straight line quilting or quilt as you go projects.

I don't use my walking foot to piece either. But I wouldn't be without it when attaching binding.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I use my walking foot for everything. I have a older Pfaff with the IDT that is attached and you engaged it when needed and disengage when not. I like that type better than the big walking foot like my Brother has that you have to take on and off. I use the walking foot engaged with my 1/4 inch foot.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I use the walking foot for piecing, bindings, straight-line quilting....yup, just about everything.....the walking foot helps to eliminate one layer pulling faster than the other, regardless of thickness

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast