Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: walking foot question

walking foot question

hello there,
    looking for opinons.
    I have never used a walking foot before but got one for xmas. works great on longer runs or bigger pieces but on 1.5" or 2" pieces I'm thinking its overkill and is not needed. Experiencing some fabrics getting eaten. i tried a leader but still wondering if its not a good use for little pieces. what do you think?
    still a real novice and working up my nerve to try some smaller piecing that really requies some precision.

Blog Entries
    are you trying to quilt (sandwiched with backing & batting) 1 1/2" & 2" pieces of fabric????
    the walking foot is generally used for straight line quilting on sandwiched pieces- it walks along on the thicker layers- where a regular foot may cause puckering/pulling. some people use their walking foot for the bindings too-again multiple layers.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

hmmm. interesting. i thought it was for 1/4 inch seams. that edge that is on it must be a regulator instead of some sort. thanks for explaining!

Blog Entries
    i usually don't use mine to piece. just to quilt. i use my 1/4 foot to piece. and binding i may use the 1/4 foot or another or even the walking foot.

Quote Originally Posted by malindaann View Post
    hmmm. interesting. i thought it was for 1/4 inch seams. that edge that is on it must be a regulator instead of some sort. thanks for explaining!
    Just out of curiosity, what machine do you have? It would be good to see the foot you are using.

I don't use my walking foot to piece, but I do use it to sew on borders, bindings and to quilt straight lines. If I have rows of blocks to piece together, I'll use it for that too.

A walking foot is mainly for thicker pieces where the bottom layer would creep away from the top layer. As others have said, it is great for binding, straight line quilting or quilt as you go projects.

I don't use my walking foot to piece either. But I wouldn't be without it when attaching binding.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I use my walking foot for everything. I have a older Pfaff with the IDT that is attached and you engaged it when needed and disengage when not. I like that type better than the big walking foot like my Brother has that you have to take on and off. I use the walking foot engaged with my 1/4 inch foot.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I use the walking foot for piecing, bindings, straight-line quilting....yup, just about everything.....the walking foot helps to eliminate one layer pulling faster than the other, regardless of thickness

I do not have one but wish I did. Guess one of these days!!!!

I just finished using my walking foot to sew on a binding. I use it to join the binding and I do not like it for that at all. That leads me to think that I could not use it for piecing. It is fabulous for stitching in the ditch and I'd hate to sew on a binding without it. For piecing, I love my 1/4" foot.

I wonder if that guide you see on it could be for stitch in the ditch? I have one that has that....it keeps the line straight in the ditch.

I've found that my walking foot works great for most things but did not do very well on tiny strips that I was using for a special log cabin mini project I was doing with decorator fabrics.

I wonder if the people that use their walking foot for everything have a built in one. I love my walking foot but it is to big and clunky unless what I am sewing is very thick.

I have used to do a quck piece job if I am too lazy to change feet and that does not work very well. As already mentioned it is for SID and other straight line quilting.

The walking foot is designed to act like the feed dogs on your machine - i.e., feed the fabric through with a gentle pushing motion. You know how some times when you sew two long pieces together that are the same length, one ends up being a little longer than the other when you are done? It helps keep both pieces even as you sew. It's not for free motion quilting - only for straight line quilting, like stitch in the ditch.
    If your walking food it's working correctly then check the presser foot pressure to be sure it's adjusted correctly so the walking foot can push the fabric.

i have a janome and use it for just abour everythi g. even those small pieces.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

hi. the machine is a Janome.

Malinda

I too use my walking foot for all piecing (except of course paper piecing), even the smaller pieces. Yes its a little more difficult to feed, but I still do it. Here are some tips

1) Use a leader
    2) Work with your needle in the down position. When its time to start a new piece, lift your presser foot just enough to slide the new piece under the foot. Now slide your piece under the foot all the way forward until it is up against the needle and against the 1/4" guide.
    3) Slow your speed down
    4) A stiletto helps as well
    5) Sometimes with really small pieces (I've done 9 patches with 1" strips) I'll use long pins. I insert the pin so the point is a little more than 1/4" from the edge and will not get under the needle, then I use the long shaft of the pin as a "handle" to help guide/move the fabric (especially when at the end of the piece to make sure it doesn't 'drive' to the left)
    6) Make sure the feed dogs on your machine and on the walking foot are kept clean and free of fabric/thread dust.

Hope this helps
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I have the Janome 6600 with built in walking foot and use it for just about everything as well. The add on ones are a bit more clunky, but are still great for straight line quilting the sandwich to help avoid puckers.

I quit using my walking foot becauseit was eating fabric. I used it for stitch-in-the-ditch quilting, and adding binding. But it worked so well for those things that I left it on. Big mistake! I also stitched in reverse with it, which I have since found out, is a big NO-NO. Not sure why, as it worked perfectly in reverse. It got very frustrating when the fabric wouldn't move through, and time after time I got big wads of fabric and big knots. So I took it off and put it in the drawer. The next time I need it for binding I will attempt to use it again.
    Always have a good attitude, don't cut corners, and go with your instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by malindaann View Post
    hi. the machine is a Janome.
    I have a janome 11000 and I only use my walking foot for binding and quilting straight lines. I have attended a paper piecing class and someone was using her walking foot, she said she uses it for everything. I guess whatever a person is comfortable with.

I use my walking foot on large quilting projects. Have never used it on small pieces. Interesting to read the responses.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I use the walking foot for piecing, bindings, straight-line quilting....yup, just about everything.....the walking foot helps to eliminate one layer pulling faster than the other, regardless of thickness
    Thanks Buckeye Rose. It's good to know I'm not the only one who uses it for everything. Even on my original 5042 Janome, I left the walking foot on and it was one that had to be attached.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast