Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wall hanging--need method to hang it >

Wall hanging--need method to hang it

Wall hanging--need method to hang it

Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 PM

I am almost finished with a quilted wall hanging for a friend, it is 30x30 in size. I have been looking for ways for it to be hung without using something that shows, but cannot find anything on the Internet showing photos of how a wall quilt is to be hung. Ideally it will be a method that does not damage walls too much, she is not interested in using velcro on her walls.

Does anyone have a link or something that I could look at for ideas to hang this this wall hanging? Thanls so much!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:56 PM

I use very fine straight pins so as not to damage drywall.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!
I have seen a couple of products that use magnets. http://www.magnificentquilt.com
This one is called Magnet-Ficent Invisible Quilt Hanger.
I have not used mine yet but my very good friend has a pretty good sized quilt hanging on her wall with one of these. It uses those 3M reuseable strips to attache the magnet to the wall
Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM

here's a youtube link to guide you. If you're attaching the sleeve before the binding, it helps alot, but it's also possible to do it afterwards with a little more hand sewing. I display small wall hangings using a small dowel stick through the sleeve, rather than a "rod," and cut the sleeve about 1" shorter (on both sides) than the width of the quilt. That way the rod doesn't stick out from behind the quilt,so it doesn't have to be decorative. You just rest the dowel on two small nails (or mug hooks) in the wall, hidden behind the quilt. a 30"x30" may be a little too heavy for this but I thought I would share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2w3QPfNGM4
Old 11-10-2010, 07:14 PM

There is a thread on here that discusses the different ways to hangyour wallhangings I take two four inch squares and fold them in half and sew them folded side out in the top two corners before I do the final sewing of the binding so the raw edges are hidden Then I put a dowel or piece of wood in and hang it on push pins or tacks
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123540.jpe  
Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by jayelee
There is a thread on here that discusses the different ways to hangyour wallhangings I take two four inch squares and fold them in half and sew them folded side out in the top two corners before I do the final sewing of the binding so the raw edges are hidden Then I put a dowel or piece of wood in and hang it on push pins or tacks
I like your method. Will have to try it.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Power Poster

That's the way I hang mine and it works just fine. By the way.....welcome. Glad to have you here.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by jayelee
I like your method. Will have to try it.
I do mine the same way & use dowels & often can get away with just one pushpin. I have also used the method with dowels on the top & bottom for large hangings.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:45 AM

Look on Nancy's notions they have an invisible quilt hanger.

I dont care so I just stick mine up with Commando strips.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Wow, thanks so much for the great tips! This is the first chance I've had to read them all!

I usually make baby quilts, lap quilts, and small bed quilts (working on a full size quilt for son as a graduation present when he finishes his trade school program next August). This is the first wall hanging so I had no clue how to hang it with nothing showing (that's my friend's preference).

I look forward to meeting more of the quilters here and learning a lot. I'm a hand quilter but admire the work and artistry of those who machine quilt.