Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you hang your wall quilts without making holes in the wall? >

How do you hang your wall quilts without making holes in the wall?

How do you hang your wall quilts without making holes in the wall?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 AM

Default How do you hang your wall quilts without making holes in the wall?

I have a laptop quilt that I hang on a nice curtain rod in my livingroom. Very easy to take down and put back up. i use it every night.

I use to use a wall quilt on that rod which I made the loops on the back of the quilt. I recently made a wall quilt for a co worker and she asked me for idea to hang her quilt that she would not have to put holes in her wall.

Does anyone hang their quilts without putting holes in the wall?? I am looking for ideas for her. I was thinking maybe velcro strips?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:55 AM

I always staple my quilts to the wall. Sounds funny but I find that it makes the smallest holes that are barely noticeable. Works just fine for wall hangings. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 AM

I have one spot in my hallway where I change my seasonal quilt wall hangings. I just use two sturdy, big colorful tacks.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

they make really big 3M command hooks now. If there's a pocket, use a dowel that's longer than the hanging and then use a hook on either side. I would probably paint the dowel to match the wall or the hanging.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 AM

I use these "original wooden hangers" with large Command strips. You can reposition the hangers when you hang different size quilts, and no holes! No sleeve or loops needed, either.

http://www.hangupscompany.com/index_Quilt_Hangers.html
Old 07-10-2012, 05:35 AM

I live in a rental apartment. I sew back loop at the back of the quilt. I use 3M hooks (3 of them), and a thin curtain rod. Works all the time
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 AM

I use a combination of 3M hooks (everything except my clock is on one), mending plates from the hardware store, really strong magnets and a flat curtain rod in a hanging pocket. There are pictures in my blog post: http://knitnoid.wordpress.com/2012/0...sdays-project/
Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 AM

I also use the 3M removable hooks, but I buy the curtain rings from WalMart that have the little clips on them (kind of like a clothes pin), then just clip the quilt to the rings and slip a curtain rod through them. This works wonders on a large quilt as you can position a 3M hook in the middle of the bar.
Attached Thumbnails stars-wall.jpg  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:11 AM

Yep, works the very best, no holes. I just use two of the stronger, bigger hooks and use a straight curtain rod.... If your pocket is short enough you can put the hooks so they land under the corner of the quilt and you can't see it. Also, there is a fella that sells magnets that are attached to the wall by with the command strips and then there is a telescoping metal bar that goes inside the pocket then is held to the wall by the magnets. I'm not sure of the name of the silly things, but would be easy to make your own if you could find strong enough magnets.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
they make really big 3M command hooks now. If there's a pocket, use a dowel that's longer than the hanging and then use a hook on either side. I would probably paint the dowel to match the wall or the hanging.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
I also use the 3M removable hooks, but I buy the curtain rings from WalMart that have the little clips on them (kind of like a clothes pin), then just clip the quilt to the rings and slip a curtain rod through them. This works wonders on a large quilt as you can position a 3M hook in the middle of the bar.
Yep! 3 M works every time I have used them for years for all kinds of things. I hate patching holes!