Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you hang your wall quilts?

I would like to know how you ladies hang up your wall quilts. If I do not intend to drill a pole to the wall for hanging my quilts, what else could I do?

I sew a sleeve to the back of the quilt--then you can use a curtain rod or my husband cuts a piece of wood the size of the quilt minus 1 inch x 1/4" and I screw in the smallest eye hole screw I can. That means I can hang it with just 2 tiny brads in the wall. I've hung quilts up to 60 inches wide using this method. I also used the sleeve technique to turn an old quilt into a curtain. Sometimes if you ask at the hardware you can find thin lattice type strips that they will cut to the size you need. I just have a handy hubby who always comes to my rescue (he raises an eyebrow at me, but does it anyway)

I have on either side of my school clock wood bathroom towel racks.Size is 20"x35"
    as seen in my avitar....
    I also have hanging shelves with bars underneath...

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin amma
    I sew a sleeve to the back of the quilt--then you can use a curtain rod or my husband cuts a piece of wood the size of the quilt minus 1 inch x 1/4" and I screw in the smallest eye hole screw I can. That means I can hang it with just 2 tiny brads in the wall. I've hung quilts up to 60 inches wide using this method. I also used the sleeve technique to turn an old quilt into a curtain. Sometimes if you ask at the hardware you can find thin lattice type strips that they will cut to the size you need. I just have a handy hubby who always comes to my rescue (he raises an eyebrow at me, but does it anyway)
    I use wooden yard sticks...

I take a square and fold it in half wrong sides tog to form a triangle and put one in the top two corners and sew in down while I am putting the binding on then you can put a flat board inside and hang on push pins on the wall

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltin amma
    LOL, Amma I get that look all of the time!!! I asked him once if he had a tic and he said "yeah you"!!!! LOL!!!
    :XD: :thumbup:

I'm lazy and I don't like making the sleeve for the back so I've used decorative curtain rods that you buy the rings for and then you can just clip your wall hanging with these.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jayelee
    I take a square and fold it in half wrong sides tog to form a triangle and put one in the top two corners and sew in down while I am putting the binding on then you can put a flat board inside and hang on push pins on the wall
    This is a great idea I will be sure to use in the future. From this day forward I promise to always "jayelee" my wall hangings!

LOL I just hate sewing on rod sleeves or those handles so this is just easier for me

Quote Originally Posted by jayelee
    Hi Jayelee

Do you have a photo of how this looks like with the flat board? I can't really visualize from your message. :P

Izy
    Hi, Here's a link to how I hang my wall hangings, hope this helps you visualise the use of triangles in the corners

:D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-6434-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Hi, Here's a link to how I hang my wall hangings, hope this helps you visualise the use of triangles in the corners

:D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-6434-1.htm
    Hey Izy

That's really cool, thanks! What do u use on the wall to hang the frame on? I suppose u can't hang big and heavy quilts using this method?

Izy
    I just added small screw rings to the top dowelling then a picture hanger into the wall.

I haven't tried it on a large wall hanging, but I suppose you could add multiple hooks across the top to take the extra weight ;)

p.s. Vivien.my step-daughter and family live in Singapore! Great place!

Here is a picture for you very easy and I buy the lathe at our Lowes hardware and cut it my self
    Attached Images Attached Images