Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Wall hanging for outside?

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Has anyone made a wall hanging for a porch that is exposed to weather? If so, any tips? Also, any patterns would be much appreciated. We just finished expanding our back deck and now it REALLY needs something on the big blank space of the house behind the glider. Thanks for your help.

I want to do this, too. I am thinking I will use inexpensive fabrics and just expect it to be short-lived. I will machine quilt it, obviously, and maybe make one for each season!

I've made nylon flags before, but not anything quilted for outside. I'd be afraid of mildew growing on any kind of batting.

Blog Entries
    Maybe use flannel instead of batting so it would dry out quicker???

I think if you used flannel or a light weight batting it would work and not mildew...but you would probably take it down as you get into the rainy season...(if you have one)
    I would also use inexpensive fabrics, a large scale design just because it may not weather well, you may decide to dump it after a season or two..
    Keep us posted on this project...sounds like fun.
    Kirsten

Blog Entries
    you could go to a thrift store, pick up the least expensive quilt you can find, then hang it out there for a while to see what happens to it.

How about using Moonpi's idea....make the out-door quilt out of nylon. At least the top and backing could be nylon, which would stand up to the weather. Use something strong with a lot of polyester in it for the batting.

Has anyone seen the bolts of fabric Wal-Mart is carrying that are labeled something like 90% Polyester and 10% Nylon? This would work for an outdoor quilt.

June

I have an article/pattern that I saw recently in a magazine or book I have. I will try to see if I can find it again.

How about using Scotch Guard or some other kind of water repellent before you hang it outside.

I don't know how it is to sew sunbrella but it's water proof

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast