Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wall hanging for outside?

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Has anyone made a wall hanging for a porch that is exposed to weather? If so, any tips? Also, any patterns would be much appreciated. We just finished expanding our back deck and now it REALLY needs something on the big blank space of the house behind the glider. Thanks for your help.

I want to do this, too. I am thinking I will use inexpensive fabrics and just expect it to be short-lived. I will machine quilt it, obviously, and maybe make one for each season!

I've made nylon flags before, but not anything quilted for outside. I'd be afraid of mildew growing on any kind of batting.

Blog Entries
    Maybe use flannel instead of batting so it would dry out quicker???

I think if you used flannel or a light weight batting it would work and not mildew...but you would probably take it down as you get into the rainy season...(if you have one)
    I would also use inexpensive fabrics, a large scale design just because it may not weather well, you may decide to dump it after a season or two..
    Keep us posted on this project...sounds like fun.
    Kirsten

Blog Entries
    you could go to a thrift store, pick up the least expensive quilt you can find, then hang it out there for a while to see what happens to it.

How about using Moonpi's idea....make the out-door quilt out of nylon. At least the top and backing could be nylon, which would stand up to the weather. Use something strong with a lot of polyester in it for the batting.

Has anyone seen the bolts of fabric Wal-Mart is carrying that are labeled something like 90% Polyester and 10% Nylon? This would work for an outdoor quilt.

June

I have an article/pattern that I saw recently in a magazine or book I have. I will try to see if I can find it again.

How about using Scotch Guard or some other kind of water repellent before you hang it outside.

I don't know how it is to sew sunbrella but it's water proof

I'm always hanging items outside on my patio. If you leave it out to long, the fabric will eventually start fading. So I trade mine out several times thruout the summer. I always have something hanging on my door!! Its so cheery!!

I found the article and the woman just used normal quilting stuff. She just hung it on the shady side of her house and took it in every night. Too much work if you ask me!

What a great idea - an outside wall hanging! Cool!

If you used painter's drop cloth, would that work? They come in about 10 to 20 feet for a section and they're really inexpensive! They're medium- thick cotton ( I think) so you should be able to dye or paint it. You could use the same method as making a floor cloth, that's should help against mold and mildew, layer it with another treated drop-cloth, and then quilt it with something that won't rot in the light - I can't think of anything off the top of my head here!

It would be unique, and durable, and dyeing is not too hard... it's an afternoon's work preparing the fabric but pennies compared to using quilting fabric! You'd be able to leave it outside all the time then as well!

Just a thought...

http://www.netw.com/~rafter4/floorcloth.htm

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_floors_cloths_mats/article/0,1793,HGTV_3411_1389538,00.html

http://www.textilearts.net/features/ideas/quiltforoutdoors.php

Here's an idea for making one. Hope this helps.

Sondra

Wow, leave it to Sondray to find a link like that!!!!!! :lol: That is the most interesting quilt I have ever seen - and it is beautiful too. I would have never thought of cling film as a medium. Too cool.

Why not paint a quilt pattern on to canvas then put a sealer on it, just a thought

I did this, and it's been up on my porch for about two years, through Wisconsin winters and summers. It's faded a bit, but not too bad. I used the fabrics that I didn't want to use for "real" quilts - some poly blends, dated small-scale calicos, etc. The poly blends actually work quite well, because they don't fade as quickly. I think I used an old mattress pad for the batting and some ugly remnant on the back. It's not going to be an heirloom. I didn't even expect it to last this long. I was digging through boxes of fabrics last night, looking for something new. I got lots of rave reviews from the neighbors at first, but they are probably tired of looking at that one. Time to make a fresh one!

I do this - the quilts hang over a bench by the door but are protected by an overhang. I don't do batting and usually don't put as much quilting as usual in them. I usually find fabric at Walmart for them because the sun fades them easily. Most are seasonal and I also have done a pineapple and a big smily face sun. I did some panels of Disney characters when the grandkids were little and they loved that. You may do a lot of different things. Just remember if it's meant to be seen from the street (as mine are) the design has to be a bit larger than you would usually make.

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    Maybe use outdoor fabrics, I think it would last a bit longer for you that way, and should already be weather resistant. Cannot wait to see what you come up with :)

Mine is on a screen porch, so it's pretty protected. It does get snow on it during really big snows and rain if the wind is blowing that direction.

I used a sleeve on each end with dowels in each, to keep it hanging smoothly in windy weather.

Blog Entries
    Why not use a wood or alluminum panel like they put on barns for decoration using quilt block patterns. Saw one on the side of a phramacy in a small town, most intricute full quilt paiting on the side. About wrecked the van looking at the detail on this thing. Very popular in the country, and no worries of mildew