Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wanna be quilter >

wanna be quilter

wanna be quilter

Old 01-15-2015, 04:47 AM

You may want to go to Missouri Star Quilt Company and watch the tutes that Jenny Doan does, she explains what she is doing and you can learn to make many different types of quilts....
Old 01-15-2015, 05:28 AM

I found Quilting 101 was perfect to start. Several quilts to make plus all the info for each step. Great book
Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 AM

I know alot of quilters say to check out the local quilt shop. I do not disagree. But I have helped many people to start into the craft. Some of us cannot afford to take classes and get all of our supplies at a local quilt shop. I would check out your local library, senior center (there are usually not any age requirements), community center, quilt guild meetings (most welcome visitors and will allow 2 or more visits without joining. These can be done for little or no cost. When you determine that quilting is in your blood get the best tools you can afford. Using 1/2 off coupons at joanns is good or when they have 1/2 off all quilting notions.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 AM

You might search here for the posting that asks members something like: what did you buy that was a waste of money? The replies were pages long...many hilarious but also informative. Go slowly, wisely buy just the essentials and maybe find an informed mentor to get you headed in the right direction. If you are a self starter... the internet and this board is just about all you really need.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Vir

My advice is to seek out and join a local quilt guild. You will find friends who are willing to help you learn or guide you to local shops etc. This worked for me.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:16 AM

I'm a new quilter - just some placemats and two quilts under my belt so far. I'm a real self-learner so classes and guilds were out for me. I found that I was able to get all I needed just from watching YouTube videos. To get started you need:

sewing machine
cutting board (at least 18" x 24")
rotary cutter
ruler (needs to be a quilting ruler, if you just get one get 6" x 24")
fabric (starting with 100% cotton is easiest)
thread (I like to match my thread to my fabric so I use 100% cotton)
batting (I like cotton but anything will do, I just cut up an old towel for my first pot holder batting)
basting spray (a gentle adhesive)
starch spray (I just use cheap stuff from the grocery store)

I consider starch and basting spray necessities because using starch makes it much easier to sew an accurate 1/4" seam when you are a beginner and nothing is easier than basting spray to hold your quilt sandwich together.

Here's how I started:

Search YouTube for videos on safely using a rotary cutter - you can do a lot of damage with these things. I got the TrueCut ergonomic cutter and the ruler that goes with it. I'm really glad I did because the ruler has a groove the cutter fits in which is safer and more accurate. Also, it really saves my wrists, which I really need.

Search YouTube for videos on squaring up fabric - whether you buy fabric by the yard or precut it is important to be able to cut properly so you don't waste a bunch and so that your pieces true 90 degree angles.

Start real easy - make a potholder. Sew 4 squares together to make a simple block. Make your sandwich with batting and a piece of fabric for backing. Trim the edges so they are even. Quilt some lines on it - however you like is fine, this is just practice. Now - push yourself a little bit - look up YouTube videos on Quilt Binding and just go for it. Don't be too discouraged if it's not perfect - I guarantee it won't be. But you will learn so much from this that you'll want to do more. Next time try a placemat. I did 4 sets of placemats before I moved on to an actual quilt and I'm really glad I did. It helps to get some skills down before you have the challenge of working with a large quilt.

Look at LOTS of pictures of quilts to get an idea what kind of quilter you really want to be. Work towards it and learn the skills you need to get there. Don't try and jump in to something too complicated at first, that can be very discouraging. Quilting is a craft of patience & precision. Allow yourself the time to learn and enjoy the process.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:08 AM

When I started out, YOUTUBE was a BIG help and it still is today for me.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:19 AM

I'm self taught and I started out by watching quilting shows on TV. And I also did a lot of computer searches. Good luck and you will learn fast.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:45 AM

Go to a quilt shop, they are always so encouraging and helpful. I started taking quilting classes at the local high school. I did that for 9 years and learned so much. Everyone learns from each other. I would definitely start with a class, somewhere. At least that way you will get the correct guidance and not be discouraged. Good luck! I've been quilting for 31 years and love every moment of it.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Unless you have someone who can teach you, I would sign up for a class at a local quilt shop, quilt guild, or even sign up for a class on Craftsy. When you take a class on Craftsy you can return to the tutorial time and time again until you have mastered the principles, as well as write in with your questions and read what other quilters have to say as well.