Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wanna be quilter >

wanna be quilter

wanna be quilter

Old 01-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

A good instructional book helped me greatly. It has lots of pictures, which helps me because I am visual. Check them out, and there is a section on this board with tutorials that are wonderful.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 AM

love newbies. It is nice to hear the art of quilting is passing on thru another. Videos are good. Watch Quilt in a Day if you get it on your local stations. The best help would be to find a local guild or quilt shop where you could have a hands on teacher to start you off. They can see what you may have problems with and steer you in the right direction. If you are a quick learner you will get the basics fast and can move along at a pace that suits you. Just have a lot of fun with it. If your first project does not turn out quite the way you expected it to, just gift it to a child. They do not know the difference and will love an cherish what you have to offer.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:12 AM

go to the internet and search YouTube for Missouri Star Quilt company.. they have tons of videos to watch
Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ddFsZu7yo Check this out.. there are tons of them
Old 01-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

I would find out when Eleanor Burns has her Quilt in a Day show. But I would visit your local quilt store and see what it is all about. You of course need a sewing machine and some basic tools. Do any of your friends quilt?? You might ask at your LQS if there are any quilting groups.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

You know how you learn best. If hands on is good for you, take a beginner's class at a quilt shop. Other's have given you great tips on YouTube videos & other links. If you can learn from a book, I would recommend Harriet Hargrave's Quilter's academy series. She leads you through the steps with great illustrations & clear instructions.

http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Acade...ilters+academy

If you do decide to go with this series, I would recommend getting a hardcopy vs. electronic.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:36 AM

Go to your local quilt shop and sign up for a beginning quilting class. You will not regret it. You will get all sorts of help and tips, plus the motivation to complete your project.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:14 AM

Also..start gathering your basics..a cutting mat, rotary cutter, ruler,pins, and a good light!!...get on the mailing list for joanne fabrics so you can use the 40% off coupons to use for you basic supplies to start with. Learn where your nearby quilt shops are, and go and lurk, look, feel the fabric, get familiar with the people there..maybe they have a class for you? Look into quilting guilds in your area, too.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:25 AM

I have never taken a class....It is hard to get away for a few hours (I have twins with autism). I wanted to learn so between Missouristarquilt company watching videos and you tube videos I have been teaching myself. I have made a few quilt tops. Nothing as grand as most people here but I figure in time and with practice I will get there.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:29 AM

welcome... you have made a great first step in joining the Quilting Board. There is a lot of helpful information here and friendly people. I purchased Better Homes & Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting along with a rotary cutter and mat. I also found my local quilt shop to be the next best place for helpful support and I enjoyed taking a beginner (Turning Twenty) class for my first project. Have fun!