Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want New Sewing Machine-Need Advise >

Want New Sewing Machine-Need Advise

Want New Sewing Machine-Need Advise

Old 01-05-2015, 02:36 PM

Default Want New Sewing Machine-Need Advise

Several months ago I bought a Babylock Anna for doing simple sewing projects. Then I decided I wanted to start quilting. I would like to purchase a machine that will do more than the Anna is capable of doing but I don't, or can't spend as much money as it costs for a new car!
Here a list of the features I want:
auto needle threader
auto thread cutter
embroidery
I would like to spend no more than $2000. I don't know if I will be able to find something in this price range. Also I don't know if I will ever be brave enough to try FMQ but may if I find sending the quit out to be quilted becomes too costly. Pipe dream is to own a long arm with robotics!
Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2015, 02:42 PM

Take a look at a Janome dealer's trade ins. They are usually well checked before being put up for sale. With all the new models out lately, you might find a Memory Craft 10000 or 11000 in that price range.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:02 PM

Alos check Brother/Babylock gently used machines.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:14 PM

Janome Janome Janome lol love love this name
Old 01-05-2015, 07:11 PM

Check out Juki machines. I just bought the Juki Exceed HZL 600 Quilt and Pro Special for $1099 Canadian. It has every feature you mentioned and sews rings around my Janome 6500 which cost me $2100 a few years ago and unlike btiny36 I did not like.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 PM

Being a Viking gal, I'd suggest checking out those as well. I, too, would go for a higher end, used machine if it had all the bells/whistles that I wanted. And certainly from a sewing/repair shop or even Craigslist depending on how familiar you are with machines. Obviously no warranty from CL so that might be a better reason to go with your local repair shop if you've had positive interactions with them in the past.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 PM

You might be able to find a used Brother 2800D, I think it is called an ellegante on the babylock side. For your budget to get the most I would go with that or maybe the new models released in feb for brother/babylock might have something in your price range with those features.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 PM

I would like to suggest that you go take a trip to your dealer - now that it is the first of the year they may be ready to sell the floor models. I got my Husqvarna/Viking Topaz 20 for well under $2,000.00. So far I have used it mostly for embroidery because I do have the Janome 6600 P for quilting and my Singer 15-91. But I did take lessons for all the bells and whistles and loved how it sewed. It can sew jeans like Levi/Strauss for one example.

So try to have good sales resistance and check out as many as you can and let them give you the best deal available.

PS: Do not let them know how much you have to spend.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 01-05-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:06 AM

I so wish that we had a "sewing machine" Category. This question gets asked every other day. The answers are the same, ggo shopping, check out mfgr. Websites, etc. Perhaps the titles should include "budget...$xxx.xx . Then people can respond accordingly.

$2,000 budget is a good starting point for machines that are feature rich. My replies can be scattered throughout the Board. 'Nuff said.

Sandy-Janome gal

Last edited by Sandygirl; 01-06-2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:46 AM

Another approach might be to get a simple straight stitch machine with a 9" harp and a separate embroidery machine - this of course assumes you have room for all three. I am not familiar with embroidery machines, but the prices I see on allbrands and ken's sewing center are under $2K together and leave room in your budget for some embroidery supplies.
- the straight stitch machines typically include needlle down, thread cutter, auto threader, and 1500 spm. They also come with a few extra feet - which include a walking foot, a quilting foot and a quarter inch foot and an extension table. These are basically mechanical machines and you can adjust the tension, feed dog height (maybe not on the janome) and pressure foot pressure. Common brands on the 9" harp machine are brother, babylock, juki and janome. I am very pleased with my bl - but the reviews I read from other quilters on the other brands are usually pretty positive. Having the large harp and high speed are definite pluses for fmq.
Good luck with your purchase
Lefty in (slightly snowy) Philly