Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Need advise on a new sewing room >

Need advise on a new sewing room

Need advise on a new sewing room

Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 PM

Hi there- I am new to writing (I usually just read :-)), but I am trying to create a little sewing nook for myself in my spare room (10x13), so i don't have to use the kitchen table anymore. I would love to have some "must have's" for my room. Storage ideas, set up, even colors to paint it! Please give me any suggestions to create a place to quilt.

Thanks!
Kathlen
Old 07-24-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by pbjbaby
Hi there- I am new to writing (I usually just read :-)), but I am trying to create a little sewing nook for myself in my spare room (10x13), so i don't have to use the kitchen table anymore. I would love to have some "must have's" for my room. Storage ideas, set up, even colors to paint it! Please give me any suggestions to create a place to quilt.

Thanks!
Kathlen
a design wall/ or board, stationary or portable, but they are great to have, even if it's just a vinyl (flannel backed) tablecloth, you use the flannel side for your blocks
Old 07-24-2011, 01:48 PM

My *must have* would be a floor to ceiling shelving area at least 3 feet wide, 12-15 inches deep....of course, I'd need a cutting area -24x36 is good size, ironing area, and nice area around my machine for piecing/fmg ...... HTH :d
Old 07-24-2011, 01:53 PM

Keep color lit, maybe off white, fabric coler will show more true, design wall, plastic tabel cloth with flannel backing (got mine at dollar store)pin it on wall as needed. Easy to take down and fold into a drawer. If you have a bed in the room use space under it for storage in plastic tubs with lids, you can put risers under the bed(about $8 at wal mart) Can you put peg board on walls for hanging things like rulers, scissors, ect? A tall chest of drawers for storing fabric and notions, storage boxes with lids for everything labeled and stacked in the closet and on top shelf, or insert shelving into closet. folding table that will fit over end of bed when in use for cutting table, fold it up and slide under bed when not in use. Is your machine in a cabnet? if not same folding table can be used for sewing. This is just the staring of a list I'm sure you will get more from others. You don't have to do everything at once start what you have to have you may change your plans as you use the room and come up with some ideas of your own. Good luck and have fun making your own special retreat.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:00 PM

There are many threads with pictures of sewing rooms, suggestions for notions, things you can't live without, etc. Put "sewing room" in the search box and see what turns up.

I'm also try to make a sewing room and have LOVED the photos, suggestions, etc.

Jory
Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 PM

For me it is the cutting table to fit your height. It really makes cutting and pinning/bating so much easier. Mine folds up to make a full length mirror. So it doesn't take much room until I need it. The other is the lighting. Don't know how old you are, but I am 57 yrs old and for the past few years have needed brighter lights when I sew or read. Needless to say, the Ottolites are my best friend.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1021
Here is a section on the board just for sewing spaces. Check out all the good info.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Light colors for the wall, I have a very light beige, so your colors for better vision especially when I sew at night.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:55 PM

WOW! You all have helped me out so much. I didn't even think to google "sewing room". And the cutting table at my height, is an excellent idea. I have a bad back and getting up and down to the floor to baste is trouble. Thanks so much!!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by pbjbaby
WOW! You all have helped me out so much. I didn't even think to google "sewing room". And the cutting table at my height, is an excellent idea. I have a bad back and getting up and down to the floor to baste is trouble. Thanks so much!!
Bad back... you need Margarita McManus' tutorial on making your sewing table comfortable and ergonomically correct! I made mine like her tute says, and love it! do a search on QB for her tute... I think I posted it here a while back... good luck with your new space!