Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Want to use fleece panel as backing - Have you done this? >
  • Want to use fleece panel as backing - Have you done this?

• Want to use fleece panel as backing - Have you done this?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 AM

Cool Want to use fleece panel as backing - Have you done this?

I've almost completed the lap size quilt top for my dd and had mentioned to her I was thinking about using a fleece panel for the backing. She really likes the idea as it will be snuggly. But I don't really want to quilt the panel and I don't think tying the quilt will work very well. Some of the blocks have lots of small pieces and I think it needs to be quilted. Should I layer the quilt top with thin batting and the original backing fabric I bought and quilt it, then add the panel on the back ? I'm considering not putting the panel on it and doing something separate with it for her. I'd really love to hear some ideas and any thoughts you might have.

I don't know why, but this has not been a very easy project and I would really love to get it finished. I have had it as a work in progress for so long that my mind just wants to ignore it.
    Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 AM

All the layers need to be attached as one just like any other quilt. I made a similar one with hand embroidered blocks with a fleece backing. I machine stitched around the blocks (including all layers) then tied in other areas. It has held up with lots of washings and carrying around.
    Old 06-07-2012, 05:57 AM

I've never used fleece for a backing but my girlfriend always backs her quilts with flannel. She did it once and everyone in the family used to fight for that one quilt so know she backs them all in flanne.
    Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 AM

Is the quilt top design such that you can SITD, around larger blocks or sections? A simple grid-type quilting shouldn't detract from the fleece panel.
    Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM

I did a baby quilt with fleece as the backing, no batting, quilted on my home machine. Fleece is stretchy so had to ease it in a few places so it didn't bunch up. Fleece and flannel make hand quilting more difficult.
    Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 AM

I have done several lap quilts for the nursing home using fleece as backing. What worked for me (because fleece stretches) was that I did not use batting but did use the spray adhesive to adhere the top to the fleece and then quilted it as I wanted......usually a grid or stitch in a ditch.....I washed it before donating it.
    Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 AM

I've done several lap quilts with fleece backing and the recipients love them. BUT so very hard to quilt without puckers. I did not use spray basting. Use a neutral color in the bobbin, such as the gray or light brown. I'm not good at thread color yet.
    Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Some fleece is stretchier than others. In the past, I've bought thick fleece, at WalMart; the newer bolts seem to be a bit thinner and quite a bit stretchier. If you can find some of the thicker fleece, it's much easier to sew and quilt.
    Old 06-08-2012, 02:44 AM

I did get the quilt top finished yesterday before we had to leave for the day. The top and the fleece panel match up pretty good in size which I am taking as a good sign. I'm studying everyone's ideas and suggestions and hopefully can work on it today. Thanks for all the input.
    Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 PM

I have thought about using fleece, but I was concerned about static electricity. Those little shocks aren't nice. Do you not have issues with static? I always use flannel on the backs of mine.