Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Warm and Natural Batting - Wash First???

Blog Entries
    Accckkkk!!! I purchased a couple of boxes of warm and natural batting at a quilter's sale and was so excited to use it on my next projects and then I read the instructions inside -- you have to wash it first because it has cotton seed oil??? Caramba! I don't want to be bothered with washing and hanging batting out to dry. Do you think I can just use it as is? Big foo. :shock:

Here's what is says on the box: "...the small brown flecks are seed remnants which contain traces of cottonseed oil. This oil should be removed before you assemble your quilt layers ..."

AND ... the instructions say to HAND WASH in a basin or tub with mild detergent... Soak for 30 minutes and rinse out SEVERAL TIMES!!!"

I'm glad I never read instructions. I've never washed warm and natural batting. Once the quilt is made, it launders beautifully. Nice and crinkly. It's my favorite batting.

I never wash my batting first. I always wash my quilts after they are completed.

I have never washed W&N batting and have never had any trouble. Maybe just luck, but it works for me, and after seeing what happened to batting that I sewed "inside out" Yeah I aint puttin bare batting in my washer ! lol

Blog Entries
    I have never washed it either. It does shrink a little in the wash, but that's what gives the quilt a natural look.

I washed it once.. and that took to long to dry so I haven't done it again since.

I've used W&N for years and have never washed it first....with no problems/issues...... I wonder if they do that just to cover any liability?

I've never washed batting either.

I do not prewash my batting. The only time I did was when I was using it in craft projects.

Blog Entries
    I have never prewashed the batting

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast