Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warm & Natural and Warm & White quilting question >

Warm & Natural and Warm & White quilting question

Warm & Natural and Warm & White quilting question

Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Default Warm & Natural and Warm & White quilting question

I've only used these two battings in my quilts so far. Normally, I quilt 8" apart in both directions due to the design/block size. I know the manufacturer suggests quilting up to 10" apart so mine are OK. I am wondering if my 8" whirlygig blocks should get another line of quilting in one direction, the center seam of the blocks? For those of you who have washed your quilts using this brand of batting, or have seen the outcome and how they hold up, what quilting distance would you recommend?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:36 PM

I like Warm and Natural and Warm and White.. its ok to quilt it 10 inches as they recommend or less. I prefer more quilting as it reduces the friction on the seam allowances, and the layers all move as one. Its the friction that creates raveling in the top seams and does not matter the batting. A manufacture will give their guidance on distance as the batting may shred or clump when washed if you do not use their guidelines. W&N and W&W have a very sturdy scrim which allow for the generous 10 inches .
Old 09-19-2013, 03:59 PM

For me it is not only the manufacturer's recommendation but also the quilt top design. Most often the fitting a desired quilting design for the quilt top is more a factor, as it is a bit more closely quilted than otherwise. I have only rarely done SID even for charity quilts.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:07 PM

I use Warm and Natural and I usually do SID. The quilt I am currently on, my 64th, has stitches about eight inches apart. I actually like less quilting, rather than more, and that is why I choose Warm and Natural. In fact, most of my batting is Warm and White, because I also use a lot of white in the quilts.

I have had no problem with anything shifting when I wash the quilts.

Hope this is helpful....

Dina
Old 09-19-2013, 04:42 PM

I have used W&N and W&W on ALL of my quilts, and have absolutely no desire to use anything else. I agree with AliKat - the quilt design decides how little or much quilting I do. I've done quilts with quilting 9" apart, and quilting 1/2" apart and the outcome is always the same - GREAT. If you think the whirlygig needs another line, do it. It will look wonderful!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:46 PM

Another W&N user here. My quilting is predicated totally on my quilt top/design. Generally it's less than 8-10" apart but sometimes it is in that range as well. Haven't had one shift or wear unevenly yet. In fact, repairing a quilt now that just has an all-over meandering (hand quilted) design and it's holding up really, really well.