Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Warmest Batting??

Hi All,

I'm about to start a quilt for my husband's grandmother who is very elderly and in poor health. She is always cold, so I'd like to use the warmest batting out there for this quilt, except I don't know what that is!!! I've been quilting for less than a year and I've only used Warm and Natural or Warm and White. I've got the fabric for the top, but I'm still looking for perfect batting - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I'm going to try and sew this together as quickly as possible because she lives in Switzerland and shipping to there always takes forever.

Also, do you think backing the quilt in flannel would make it warmer as well?? Any other suggestions for a warm backing?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Rebecca

Blog Entries
    Wool is wonderful, It can be used both summer and winter,
    Marilee

Blog Entries
    Here is a good site to help answer your questions.
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com/batting.htm

I think adding the flannel back would definitely add to the warmth. I've only done one quilt with Warm and Natural and was concerned that it wouldn't be very warm. My first "flat" quilt. My son who received that quilt said it is warmer than any of the blankets or comforters they have. So Warm and Natural with a flannel back should be very snuggly and warm.

Wool is warm w/o bring too heavy. I love a heavy quilt, but the eldery might not. Hard to handle, etc. Two layers of wool might be toasty.

I think another question you show ask is: can she use something heavy?

I have a friend who has a flannel rag quilt and has found it too heavy to lift and use. It also has too much weight for her to have it over her body.

ali

Blog Entries
    A wool batting with a flannel backing will definately be the choice for the softness. If it will be washed a lot, maybe think about poly batting. Poly also doesn't breathe as well as wool or cotton, so it holds heat in better.