Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warmest Batting? >

Warmest Batting?

Warmest Batting?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 AM

Default Warmest Batting?

I have made a few quilts now and they are all on the thin side. They are not warm at all. Does anyone have a favorite type of batting that would be warm enough to sleep under? It's been suggested to me to use Hobb's Warm and Natural. I've also gotten the suggestion to use two layers of batting. I'm making a King sized quilt for my bed now and I'm going to use a flannel backing. I'd very my appreciate any other suggestions for making it warmer. Thanks!

Last edited by lblank42; 10-03-2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Wool batting is the warmest. I would use Hobbs wool.

You can layer battings. I would layer Hobbs PolyDown on top of wool for max warmth. It is probably not advisable to layer battings if you are hand quilting; layering battings is down primarily when machine quilting.

Warm and Natural is not made by Hobbs; it is made by the Warm Company. This is a dense cotton batting that is needlepunched through scrim. It is thick and heavy for a cotton batting, and very stable, but not necessarily any warmer than some polyester battings that are much lighter in weight (such as Hobbs PolyDown). W&N is used a lot because it can be quilted up to 10" apart. W&N is one of my least favorite battings because of its weight and stiffness (although it does soften up a little with each washing).
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM

I went to wool batting and love it. It is no more expensive than the W&N and so nice to work with.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I don't know if any actual testing has been done as to which is warmest, wool or poly or a combination. Quilters Dream says their high loft Dream Puff batting is warmer than down and I have always considered down to be warmest, even more warm than wool. But you can't quilt with down.

I always have the down comforter on my bed in the dead of winter as well as a couple of quilts! But I like my bedroom cold and I like the extra weight on me.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 AM

Warm batting will be on sale at JoAnn's 50% off in a few days.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 AM

I bought some bamboo batting, it is supposed be cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold, like silk. I am working on the quilt right now, can't testify to it yet. It's supposed to drape beautifully as well.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

I only use high loft polyester. Warmth without the weight.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:13 PM

I really like Hobbs Wool, but I have used Warm and Natural and added a layer of flannel and then used flannel for the backing. It is so warm. Luckily, I made it for my husband and me and I love to snuggle under it on cold nights.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 PM

One of my friends used Quilter's Dream Dream Green Poly and she said that quilt was really, really warm. She said it was just too hot for her to sleep under. I've used the regular Dream Poly and it's really nice to work with.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

I love the wool battings- hobbs wool or dream wool are both very, very nice, lofty, breathable & warm. the polyester battings are also warm battings, (warm & natural is made by the 'Warm' company- not Hobbs) Hobbs does offer a variety of cotton battings- the 80/20 is nice to work with- the warmth of a quilt also is dependent on the fabric selections- and having flannel will certainly help with the warmth of the quilt.