Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash quilt first >

Wash quilt first

Wash quilt first

Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 PM

I always do that and in hot water even and dry on high heat. I figure not everyone will be as careful as I would be...and if anything is going to happen to it that would do it...then I can fix it before its out the door. Ya know...I've been doing it that way for over 10 years and have never had an issue.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 PM

on my second quilt...I washed it and one of the borders all shredded...I am so glad that I did not give that away...I learned to really be careful...double sew in some cases. I also learned to machine sew the top all around the outside before putting on the binding. I also think I may start blanket stiching the out side of the quilt prior to putting on the binding. Better to take the extra time prior to binding than once washed.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 PM

I always wash my quilts first, too. I don't feel quite easy about them until I am sure they've survived the wash.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolaug
on my second quilt...I washed it and one of the borders all shredded...I am so glad that I did not give that away...I learned to really be careful...double sew in some cases. I also learned to machine sew the top all around the outside before putting on the binding. I also think I may start blanket stiching the out side of the quilt prior to putting on the binding. Better to take the extra time prior to binding than once washed.
Thanks for the great tip! I'm going to do that!! :D
Old 02-26-2011, 01:31 AM

Me too! I'm a Newbie and it is these types of posts that have taught me SO much. Thank yo SO much!!

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Thanks for the great tip! I'm going to do that!! :D
Old 02-26-2011, 01:36 AM

I love learning and that is what I get a lot of here. Thank you for sharing great ideas :)
Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 AM

I always wash mine after quilting for all the reasons that have been previously listed. One never knows if there might be a place to fix until its washed and it helps in getting those extra threads one might have missed.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:16 AM

Great tip! I've made about 4-5 quilts at this point, and on the last two (done at the same time), I read that it was good to do a stitch through all the layers around the edges before the binding. I found it much easier to finish after I had done that.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 AM

I ALWAYS wash quilts when I am finished with them. I love how they look fresh out of the dryer.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 AM

Me too...I love the cringle look and it makes my machine quilting look better.
Originally Posted by sharoney
I ALWAYS wash quilts when I am finished with them. I love how they look fresh out of the dryer.