Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wash quilt first

Blog Entries
    Before giving a quilt for a gift....wash it...first it always looks better once washed when quilted. Second...if there are any areas where you missed sewing its better that you find it and fix it than the person rec'ing it to find it. I always double check my binding once I wash it...I am learning errors...once I wash them...thankfully I am finding them and not the folks that I gave them to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    Before giving a quilt for a gift....wash it...first it always looks better once washed when quilted. Second...if there are any areas where you missed sewing its better that you find it and fix it than the person rec'ing it to find it. I always double check my binding once I wash it...I am learning from errors...once I wash them...thankfully I am finding them and not the folks that I gave them to.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I totally agree. Besides what you said I have cats and no matter how careful I am there fur just seems to float in the air
    That would be a little embarrassing!! :D

Blog Entries
    I always do. It is like opening a present when I pull it out of the dryer, so excited to see how it turned out!

I do also, good tip to give to newbie quilters.:)

Sounds like a lesson learned the hard way! I think we've all done that or something similar. I know I don't always wash before giving. I just got a pillow sham back to fix, so this is a good reminder.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CloverPatch
    I always do. It is like opening a present when I pull it out of the dryer, so excited to see how it turned out!
    I love this part :)

I always wash my quilts before they go out the door!

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    Before joining this board, I had never washed my quilts before giving them (except, of course, rag quilts). I guess I just felt that they wouldn't seem "New." I would iron them, give them a spritz of febreeze, and off they would go. Now I will never not wash them before gifting. When my mom-in-law died a couple of years ago, I took back a quilt I'd made for my FIL ten years prior. It had Never been washed! 'twas the first thing I did, and oh how much prettier my quilting looked. lol...

Those are some great pointers. I have also found some errors this way.

I always do that and in hot water even and dry on high heat. I figure not everyone will be as careful as I would be...and if anything is going to happen to it that would do it...then I can fix it before its out the door. Ya know...I've been doing it that way for over 10 years and have never had an issue.

Blog Entries
    on my second quilt...I washed it and one of the borders all shredded...I am so glad that I did not give that away...I learned to really be careful...double sew in some cases. I also learned to machine sew the top all around the outside before putting on the binding. I also think I may start blanket stiching the out side of the quilt prior to putting on the binding. Better to take the extra time prior to binding than once washed.

I always wash my quilts first, too. I don't feel quite easy about them until I am sure they've survived the wash.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    on my second quilt...I washed it and one of the borders all shredded...I am so glad that I did not give that away...I learned to really be careful...double sew in some cases. I also learned to machine sew the top all around the outside before putting on the binding. I also think I may start blanket stiching the out side of the quilt prior to putting on the binding. Better to take the extra time prior to binding than once washed.
    Thanks for the great tip! I'm going to do that!! :D

Me too! I'm a Newbie and it is these types of posts that have taught me SO much. Thank yo SO much!!

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Thanks for the great tip! I'm going to do that!! :D

I love learning and that is what I get a lot of here. Thank you for sharing great ideas :)

I always wash mine after quilting for all the reasons that have been previously listed. One never knows if there might be a place to fix until its washed and it helps in getting those extra threads one might have missed.

Great tip! I've made about 4-5 quilts at this point, and on the last two (done at the same time), I read that it was good to do a stitch through all the layers around the edges before the binding. I found it much easier to finish after I had done that.

I ALWAYS wash quilts when I am finished with them. I love how they look fresh out of the dryer.

Blog Entries
    Me too...I love the cringle look and it makes my machine quilting look better.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharoney
    I ALWAYS wash quilts when I am finished with them. I love how they look fresh out of the dryer.

Kas
    I always wash mine. That is one of my favorite parts of making a quilt...pulling out that fluffy, warm finished quilt out of the dryer.

Mine goes in the washer as soon as possible after the last binding stitch is sewn, whether I'm keeping the quilt, giving it away, or saving it for a future gift. Another reason to wash them is to get out the starch that I use while piecing.

dunster, I love your avatar!!!