Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washable Markers Question >

Washable Markers Question

Washable Markers Question

Old 11-14-2015, 06:01 AM

Default Washable Markers Question

When you wash a finished quilt that has washable marker all over it, will a color catcher catch that color? I am very confused....(not the first time, LOL).....I used all Kaufman Kona in black white and red. I prewashed all of it with color catchers to see if there was any bleeding, but they came out white....so I assumed I was good to cut and piece. Yesterday, I washed the finished quilt to get rid of the glue used for basting, washable markers and any dirt accumulated during construction....along with a color catcher. That color catcher came out orange! I have no idea how this happened unless it was the markers. Will the washable markers leave behind enough dye to tint a color catcher? Do the markers completely wash out, or do they leave behind a residue that will need a color catcher at every wash? I cannot see any markings, so I can only guess they are gone, but am still wondering where that orange came from.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:18 AM

I have not used them , but I know over on the Machine Quilters Resource, alot of the machinequilters use them. I dont' think it would be the washable markers or they would tell you to use Color Catchers. What about your backing? was that prewashed? maybe the glue reacting with the detergent? Its a true mystery!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:19 AM

I don't know the answer - sorry. I think it could have been the markers that your color catchers caught. Personally, I have never used color catchers when I wash a finished quilt because I usually prewash everything. IMHO, the washers do wash out. I will admit that there have been a time or two that I had to wash a second time to get them all out. I feel like when you can't see them anymore they are out.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:00 AM

The orange could come from the black fabric excess dye. I know you prewashed but sometimes you have to soak black in hot water to get all the excess out?
Old 11-14-2015, 11:25 AM

I use the Crayola Ultra Clean markers. Washable markers can on very rare occasion leave a bit of color on the quilt.

As far as the Color Catcher, it probably is from the markers. I usually soak my quilt in the bathtub first to remove most of the color -- sometimes with a bit of Tide Free. When it seems good, I toss it in the wash on the gentle cycle with cold water. Sometimes I use a Color Catcher, sometimes not. It mostly is just for my own peace of mind as I seem to be fine either way. The soap will do the work of removing the marker, but yes, my Color Catchers do come out colored if I put my quilt in the wash with the marker on it.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:30 PM

I have used the Crayola markers and never had any problems with them washing right out! I used color catchers in case the fabrics bled again, but they never picked up any colors.