Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: washing baby quilts

Do you wash a baby quilt that you are giving as a gift before you give it away? It seems like you would want to send it looking fresh and crisp, but you want it to be clean for the baby. Most of the projects I've finished have been wall hangings or something for decor in the house. I am working my way up to bed size pieces.

Definitely. Especially if you used starch or didn't wash the chemicals out of the fabrics before you started. In fact, I would prewash every single fabric item that goes near a baby's skin or mouth. Almost everything has finishing agents and/or pesticide/fumigants in it.

Yep, I agree, I'd wash it in something like Dreft which is very gentle and both baby and fabric friendly.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    Yep, I agree, I'd wash it in something like Dreft which is very gentle and both baby and fabric friendly.
    I prewash the fabrics before cutting them - and I wash the quilt after it's finished. I usually have a furry "assistant" while making things.

Some Moms might be compulsive washers of everything before it goes near Baby, but some might not be.

I wash then press the quilt so it still looks nice. It's a good thing I did on one quilt because I found that one seam got a little too small and I had a big hole in my top. Luckily I was able to hand stitch it shut! So, yes, I always wash before I give. I also use the school glue for binding so I need to get that out too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Do they still make Dreft?
    Yes! I think it comes in a liquid version now too.

Blog Entries
    Yes, please wash before giving anything to a baby :D :D :D
    Even new clothes most likely have been sprayed with chemicals...

I wash all my "useable" quilts before giving them away. I am not a pre-washer (under most circumstances) and I love the "slightly puckered" look from shrinking them up after they are done

Yes, and I have 2 reasons. One reason is we have cats and I never know when the babys might be bothered by that. The other reason....I crocheted a circular baby afghan one time....the center was a granny square. When I washed it, it came apart!!!! :shock: Apparently I hadn't tied it off right! :x So I consider washing those gifts to be preventative measures.

I always wash my quilts before giving them away. I just love the way they look after washing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast