Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing fabric before cutting >

Washing fabric before cutting

Washing fabric before cutting

Old 07-09-2016, 09:04 PM

I prewash all my fabrics, and I don't buy precuts. Being asthmatic, I prefer to be safe than sorry. Also, I've had the situation where the fabric I bought for a project bled horribly -- typically, a red fabric. I found a product online, Rit Dye Setter (I have no financial interest -- just happen to use the product) which is what I wash my fabrics in, starting with the lightest shade through the most intense vibrant colors. That effectively removes the chemicals that can cause problems. I prefer to adopt Murphy's Law when it comes to fabric dyes bleeding and fabrics shrinking. I also press my fabric before I cut. All I have to do is just consider the risk: All that work, money and time just flushed because failed to wash/set the dye. NO, I won't take that risk. As I understand it, the bleeding problem occurs because the fabric dyes used these days are chemical and not organic, and are much more prone to bleeding. I simply can't afford to take the financial risk of ruining a quilt. I don't sell quilts or make quilts for anyone else -- I make them for gifts, but I'm on a limited income, so I can't afford to risk messing up a gift.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:32 AM
Power Poster

For every project I either wash ALL of the yardage or I don't. If there are no worries about colors bleeding I tend to not prewash. If there are intense colors in the lot, I do a color test with Q-tips or a scrap of fabric in a hot water glass with detergent (generally a small piece will indicate if it's going to run). Then I make my decision. IF I prewashed all the fabric I tend to throw the finished quilt in the dryer with a damp tower to get the errand cat hairs off and freshen it up. IF I didn't prewash, I will wash the quilt with color catchers before gifting it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:38 AM
Power Poster

For every project I either wash ALL of the yardage or I don't wash any. If there are no worries about colors bleeding I tend to not prewash. If there are intense colors in the lot, I do a color test with Q-tips or a scrap of fabric in a hot water glass with detergent (generally a small piece will indicate if it's going to run). Then I make my decision. IF I prewashed all the fabric I tend to throw the finished quilt in the dryer with a damp tower to get the errand cat hairs off and freshen it up. IF I didn't prewash, I will wash the quilt with color catchers before gifting it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:09 AM

I'm not a 100% prewasher. Most of the time I don't but if I'm using some fabrics like red, etc that could run, I was them. I only prewash flannel if the shrinkage will effect my project, like in a rag quilt it won't hurt. If I were making pj's then I'd wash them. I wouldn't wash precuts even though I've seen those who do. If you don't think any of you fabric that you are cutting will fade then don't worry about it. My thinking is; when you go to a class where everything is included, you know the ones holding that class didn't wash and iron all of that fabric. Yes, you could get some fading or shrinkage but so far I've been lucky just sticking to my rules. I do also prewash batiks.