Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing fabric >

washing fabric

washing fabric

Old 03-07-2010, 09:57 AM

I washed a red fabric that I was going to use in a block exchange . I washed in wash basin in hot water then warm water 8!!! times and the water is still pink. Do I just throw this material away? I have never used a red before and I never wash my fabric before quilting with it. I think I just made a new rule.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

You can probably set this color by washing in Retayne. Retayne is sold in some quilt shops and online at places like Dharma Trading and ProChem.

The reason the red keeps bleeding is because the dye was not set correctly in the factory. Usually one or two washings in Retayne will set the dye.

The other reason dye bleeds is because the fabric is over-saturated with dye (more dye than the fabric can absorb). That is the case with fabric that stops bleeding after one or two regular washes. Your is the other case -- dye not properly set.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Thank you so much. I will get on line right now and order some. I really like the fabric. I bought this fabric from a friend who's sister passed, so I'm not sure where the fabric came from.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:23 AM

I feel your pain and am so sorry about the problem. I just went through this myself with a dk Indigo color. After many washings & 2 treatments with Retayne, then 2 washings using the Color Catcher Sheets, it was safe to use. I had to get it to stop bleeding because there was quite a bit of cream color to be in the quilt as well. I love Retayne. And this was expensive Quilt Shop fabric. Good Luck. Bet the Retayne solves your problem.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:40 AM

As much trouble as it is to prewash, I cannot use or swap precuts without prewashing. There's just no way to know what will and will not run...brand, price, age...lately there's been too many bad experiences to hope for the best. Sorry you've had the problem, but perhaps it will save you from having more problems in the future.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

I have also found Retayne sold in my LQS :wink:
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 AM

I ordered the Retayne online last night. They also had something that begins with S they said to go with it , so I ordered it too just to make sure I had everything I needed.
I am not going to use this in my RWB swap. Just makes me afraid to use it. I will find something else.
Thanks everyone for all your help!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 AM

You can also wash the fabric with Epsom Salt. The salt acts like a color catcher. Also, it will help set the dye and remove any excess dye or ink.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

The "S" was probably Synthrapol. That is what I use to wash a finished quilt so any bleeds don't settle into other fabrics. Synthrapol suspends any unset dye in the water until it is rinsed away.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM

I noticed you are washing it in hot water.... I have always heard to wash it in cold water. I also add vinegar to the wash, (no the fabric doesn't stink afterwards) because that is supposed to help "set" the dye.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, ladies!! :)
~Heather