Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing fabric >

washing fabric

washing fabric

Old 11-16-2010, 03:42 AM

when you wash fabric before a project do you actually wash it with laundry soap? Or do you just get it wet and dry it with the dryer so it will shrink?
Do you all wash your fabrics when you get it home so its ready to use when you need it?
I have been dabbling with the quilting and am not washing my fabrics. but figured when I start a serious project Id better get the facts! thanks JoAnn
ps Im sure Im going to have ALOT of silly questions for you all as I dont have anyone else to ask.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 AM

Many wash their fabric as soon as they get home with laundry detergent, dry it , iron it and put it away. That way it is ready to use when you want it. Personally, I don't prewash because I'm too lazy and so far I have never had a problem with shrinkage or colours bleeding.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 AM

Hello
In class we were taught to always wash your fabric so I got in the habit of doing that. One thing she said was never to but the fabric sheets in the dryer with the fabric, so I don't. It is nice to have it ready for projects.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:53 AM

I only wash fabrics if I am in a swap that asks that the fabric be pre-washed. Otherwise, I just use it straight from the store. Haven't had an issue yet.

Although, I have washed some hand-dyed fabric to make sure the excess dye was washed out first.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:56 AM

The only fabric I wash is flannel because every piece shrinks at a different rate. I have never had a quilt run, even using red. I always use a color catcher just in case and that usually comes out clean. I also give washing instructions to the recipient along with 1 more color catcher. I have a hard time getting time to quilt as it is, if I had to wash and iron all my fabric all I would have would be lots of washed and ironed fabric and no quilts !!!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:20 AM

I wash all my fabric and dry in dryer when I bring it home. I don't iron or starch, just fold and put away. Just wash. Sometimes I may buy a bolt and later down the road just cut off what I need and iron and starch.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 AM

WOW the number of threads on this subject is amazing. You will find that there are as many people who don't wash and have absolutely no problems whatsoever (including dark colors and batiks) to those who wash, using various products to prevent bleeding and have horrible problems with various fabrics. Many people wash simply to remove all the stuff that is put into fabrics (can't think of the names) to make it crisper and easier to put on bolts before shipping to stores.

I don't wash my fabric, never have..never will...and have had no problems whatsoever....my life is full enough that if I had to wash it all it would take all the joy out of the process for me. I do iron before cutting.

Just type in washing fabrics in the search box and you will numerous threads and more information/opinions regarding this subject.

Welcome to the Board, and use the search feature...it is a fabulous tool for everyone and you will find valuable information about everything possible. There is NO right or wrong way....just the way that works best for you. :D
Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 AM

I always wash, and yep, I use detergent. I do not, however, use fabric softener as some iron on products don't adhere well to fabrics that have fabric softener on them.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:03 AM

Sometimes...?

I wash if it's a fabric likely to bleed or shrink. Flannel ALWAYS gets washed, sometimes more than once. If I intend to use a white/light fabric with darks, I'll wash it. If I wash one fabric, I wash all fabs for the same quilt. I'm leaning more towards washing than not, lately, but I used to not wash anything.

I will, because of my latest batting fiasco, be pre-shrinking my batting from now on.

I wash with detergent, but not fabric softener or dryer sheets.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker

Welcome to the Board, and use the search feature...it is a fabulous tool for everyone and you will find valuable information about everything possible. There is NO right or wrong way....just the way that works best for you. :D
The above is very true. The search feature has been incredibly valuable to me. I always search first and if I can't get an answer that way, I ask. I'd say that 9 times of 10, I get the answer (and so much more!) by searching. :)