Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: washing finished quilts

I usually wash my quilts after I finish them. I wash them in warm/cold and dry in cotton cycle with several cotton catchers.

I have only completed 3 quilts, but I did not wash them after I finished them. Perhaps I should, seeing that most all of you do. I do pre-wash all my fabric, prior to piecing. I also hand quilt, but mine are not dirty when I finish. I always wash my hands real good before I sit down to quilt, so that oils and any dirt do not get on it. Always learning something new on this board.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

My condo washer is a lot smaller than the one I had in my old house. If I do wash/dry full-size quilts, I need to go to a laundromat so I usually don't. I give the recipient a little note with care instructions and have never heard anything negative.

I always was my quilts right after the binding is finished. I wash in warm water without any detergent and with a couple of color catchers. Then I dry it on warm. I want to remove the basting spray and starch, make sure the stitches are all holding tight and get that pretty crinkly look.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6