Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: washing finished quilts

washing finished quilts

When the quilt is completely finished, do you wash it? I am nervous about doing this.

I ALWAYS - last step after binding is tossing the quilt in the washer- then the dryer----every quilt---every time---I want to see how it comes out before it goes to whom ever it is going to...

I always wash mine before giving away or displaying. I want to know that it will be all right when it's washed and not have the recipient get a surprise.
    Kate

I always machine wash on delicate setting with cool water and a small amount of regular detergent. I dry quilts in the dryer set for cotton. I want to know if there are any problems with it before sending to my friends and family. I know the quilt will get rougher treatment in my kids house. Also I like the crinkle!
    Mary

I am a hand quilter so by the time I finish a quilt it is quite dirty and must be washed. I wash mine in the machine with Dreft detergent and lots of color catchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Quilter View Post
    I am a hand quilter so by the time I finish a quilt it is quite dirty and must be washed. I wash mine in the machine with Dreft detergent and lots of color catchers.
    I forgot to add that I usually dry my quilts in the dryer. However, the exception is the one I'm finishing now. I'll wash it, but plan to dry flat so that I can block it.

My sons daycare quilt (Irish chain) that was machine pieced and machine quilted has been washed at least 70x and is still looking great.

Another hand quilter here who ends up with really dirty quilts by the time I'm done. I always toss mine in the washer, normal detergent, perm. press cycle. Then toss in the dryer on the perm. press setting as well. I prewash my fabric so don't normally use color catchers at that point. Although I've had to in the past. Had a green that just would not stop bleeding after being completed. Finally gifted the quilt with a box of color catchers and instructions to use them with each wash.

I always wash my quilts before they leave my house.. I have pets and maybe whoever is getting this one is allergic....And if its going to fall apart, I better know it.

I look forward to washing EVERY quilt as soon as the binding is finished. Washing gets out any starch that I used while making the quilt, and the quilting often looks better after the quilt is washed. I wash in cold water, gentle cycle, and tumble dry with low heat. Often I take the quilt out of the dryer while it's a little bit damp and lay it out on the floor to finish drying.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast