Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a quilt after it is first finished >

Washing a quilt after it is first finished

Washing a quilt after it is first finished

Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

I pre wash all my fabrics,dry in the dryer and press when I'm ready to use them.
As soon as I take the last stitch on the binding, I wash it in the washer and dry in the dryer. Use warm water, agitate a few minutes, let soak, let agitate a few minutes, let spin and rinse normally. Dry on low and turn every few minutes. Spread on my glass topped dining table to make sure it's dry overnight.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by athenagwis
I just wash and dry as I would my sheets, washer, then dryer. Works great for me! Oh and I rarely wash my fabric before cutting and I haven't had any problems yet, but pre-washing is a highly personal preference.
Rachel
Ditto for me!!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 PM

I have had some color bleed on fabric, so I use another product called Retayne. I made 3 quilts for Downey, and they recommend that you use that to set the color, then wash in tide, or a mild detergent. I am of the same mind, use it use it use it, which in that case, means wash wash wash...I do dry in the dryer as well. If my quilt was going into a 'show' or was going to the Quilt Museum..lol, then I would consider NOT doing that, but these are to be loved completely until they fall apart. Joanie ps and yes, dragged through the mud by a cute little kid...
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ctmhjenn
I have had some color bleed on fabric, so I use another product called Retayne. I made 3 quilts for Downey, and they recommend that you use that to set the color, then wash in tide, or a mild detergent. I am of the same mind, use it use it use it, which in that case, means wash wash wash...I do dry in the dryer as well. If my quilt was going into a 'show' or was going to the Quilt Museum..lol, then I would consider NOT doing that, but these are to be loved completely until they fall apart. Joanie ps and yes, dragged through the mud by a cute little kid...
I always attach a little note to baby quilts that I give: THIS IS NOT AN HEIRLOOM QUILT. IT WAS MADE WITH LOVE. IT IS MEANT TO BE LOVED AND USED. BABY CAN PLAY, PEE, POO, AND PUKE. JUST TOSS IT IN THE WASHER AND DRYER AND IT'LL BE GOOD AS NEW.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 AM

I hand quilt mine, so I usually throw it over the railing to dry, then pop it in the dryer to fluff it up. my new washer is front loading. so no agitator!!! way nice for washing quilts.
I dont pre wash my fabric either, but have serged the edge of my quilt top and washed an dried it before I quilt it.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by ctmhjenn
I always attach a little note to baby quilts that I give: THIS IS NOT AN HEIRLOOM QUILT. IT WAS MADE WITH LOVE. IT IS MEANT TO BE LOVED AND USED. BABY CAN PLAY, PEE, POO, AND PUKE. JUST TOSS IT IN THE WASHER AND DRYER AND IT'LL BE GOOD AS NEW.
LOL. Well stated and I agree whole heartedly. My blue ribbons on my quilts are honestly the love and joy my family tell me about how they feel about using my quilts. Even my grandchildren as babies would roll across the room to get to their favorite grammy quilt (which was always the one the came home from the hospital wrapped up in) from a pile of 4 and 5 other quilts. They know my hand quilted quilts from the cheater ones I made and the store bought ones the other Grandma bought.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by Fabricnut
I just read all the logs on washing FQ before using them. I guess I better start washing fabric before cutting it. But do you wash the completed quilt once it is finished? How do you do that if you do? How do you dry the quilt if washed? I just finished 2 quilts. Thanks you your input.
I don't prewash fabric (except for flannel, which I prewash and dry twice before using). If I suspect a fabric might bleed, I test it with some water before using. In my experience, normal amounts of quilting stabilize fabrics enough so that they won't shrink disproportionately.

I always wash a quilt for the first time in Synthrapol. Synthrapol suspends any unset dye particles in the water so it is rinsed away instead of settling into other fabrics. My quilts are made to be used, so I machine wash and dry as I do other things.

Synthrapol is inexpensive and widely available in quilt shops or online. Amazon has it now.
great idea.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 AM

I wash mine after I've attached the label, then weather permitting, I hang it on the line to dry. I love that smell, and they look so pretty out there in the sunshine