Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a Rag Quilt >

Washing a Rag Quilt

Washing a Rag Quilt

Old 05-27-2012, 06:13 PM

I have a friend that is on septic, not sewer, and she spritzes the seams of the rag quilt heavily (instead of washing), then dries the quilt in her dryer. She does this multiple times until the quilt is raggy enough for her. Easier to clean the lint trap on the dryer than get the septic tank pumped.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

We no longer have a laundromat...so I use my old top-loader. I check the lint filter frequently and then I line dry and shake outside....if I finish in the dryer I also check the filter often. These quilts tend to shed a lot during the first few washes. Oh, and I also go over the seams with the hand held crevice tool on my Dyson (amazing how much lint that can pick up).
Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Banned

do the large machine at the laundry mat for the max amount of time...it is so much easier!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:20 PM

I washed mine at home. There was a lot of lent!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:09 AM

The laundromats are said to have have bigger lint traps on their equipment than the home machines, so can accommodate the excess lint. I usually wash rag quilts at the laundromat for the first washing, then at home for any additional washing, but have washed at home the first time a couple of times. Just be sure to clean the lint trap several times as you go.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:00 AM

Thanks EVERYONE! I had noooooo idea. I have two of four rag quilts completely sewn and will definitely take them to the laundromat. This site is so very helpful.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:52 PM

I am also on a septic system for years and years and use a lint trap on the drain hose of my washer. Cheap way to ward off problems. I wash rag quilts all the time and never had an issue. You just have to make sure to keep an eye on it and change it when it's full.

I used to buy them at Home Depot but they quit selling them so I buy them online now.

http://www.bicwarehouse.com/lint-tra...filiate&aff=cj
Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 AM

I wash mine a couple of times in the wringer washer. That really shows you how much lint you get. We pump it out through a strainer. I stopped my drier every 5 to 10 minutes the first time through. I took one to town but I think I will stick with the wringer now.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:30 AM

[QUOTE=MaryLane;5250342]I wash mine a couple of times in the wringer washer. That really shows you how much lint you get. Lucky you! Having a wringer washer. I didn't know my front load washer had a filter,but I found out YES it did when my pump stopped working and it wouldn't drain. I had lint so thick it had totally clogged the filter which starved the pump and that was that. I replaced the pump/filter assembly and now I check the filter all the time
Old 05-29-2012, 03:43 AM

Okay, okay, so now I have to go check to see if I have a lint trap on my new washer...obviously, I never checked on my old one either - LOL