Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a Rag Quilt >

Washing a Rag Quilt

Washing a Rag Quilt

Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
[ Lucky you! Having a wringer washer.
I am lucky! I grew up using junk wringers. My step father was a junk dealer. This one is a super nice one I bought off of a lady's family 25 years ago when they put her in a nursing home. I had never seen one this nice and I still use it occasionally. Much easier to do in my basement with running water and a double tub laundry sink than it was when we were carrying all the water in and out!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 AM

I made my first flannel rag baby quilt last week. I wish I had listened to my friend, when she told me to take it to a laundrymat.... well, to make a long story short, it washed ok, but it broke my dryer. I've never seen so much lint in my life. My husband took the dryer apart and we are waiting on parts to arrive. I hope he can repair it. The quilt is cute and fluffy but still has lots of lint on it, so it will have to be washed again AT THE LAUNDRYMAT. In the meantime, it's raining here in FL from storm "Beryl" and dirty clothes are piling up.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:27 AM

I never, not ever, give a flannel quilt without washing it several times at the laundromat. If I have the time (rarely) I wash it a third time. I even put a note with the gift and tell that it might be wise to wash in a laundromat at lease once more and besides I use Warm and Natural and that large quilt is heavy when washed. I do have flannel ones that I wash in my machine, top loading gentle cycle and there is still some lint after 10 years. Hubby loved the flannel in winter and these are not rag ones.

Originally Posted by Sewhappytoquilt View Post
Folks say "Do NOT wash your rag quilt in your own machine. Go to a laundromat". My question is, why? What will happen to my washing machine?