Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing vs Not Washing New Fabric >

Washing vs Not Washing New Fabric

Washing vs Not Washing New Fabric

Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I agree I prewash, if it is going to fade, shrink I want to know before it is in my quilt.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Juzsayin View Post
I usually wash my new fabric when making quilts, but last time fabric came out looking faded and dingy, even though I just put through a delicate rinse cycle. My question is: Can you get the same result as washing (shrinkage, loss of stiffness) through steam ironing? Thanks
My answer is yes and no. I don't use a steam iron but I spray my fabric with water or Best Press until it's fairly damp and then iron. My iron is waaaaaaaaay hotter than the dryer and it's the dryer that shrinks your fabric, not the washer. What you don't lose is the stiffness. But I don't want to work with limp fabric. I like my fabric nice and crisp to work with. If it fades it fades.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 AM

I wash all my fabric by hand as soon as I buy it, gently but in very, very warm soapy water. It's mainly to get rid of any excess dye that the odd red or green will have. And if they are starting to throw a bit of dye I will make it hot water. And to let it shrink a bit if it wants to. I only buy at the quilt shops, and I find that it is surprising to find out what materials you won't be buying anymore and what are lovely. I don't think of it as a chore but as a getting to know you kind of exercise....