Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A Water Soluble Marker That Lasts?

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar

A Water Soluble Marker That Lasts?

Any recommendations? I've been all about whole cloth quilting lately and I can't seem to make a water soluble pen last through an entire quilt to save my life. I've only used Dritz and Clover - is there a good one out there I can order that would actually make it through marking an entire whole cloth quilt?
    Valerie Smith - Pumpkin Patch Quilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Afraid I am hooked on the Frixion pens, after trying everything else on the market.

KR
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    Afraid I am hooked on the Frixion pens, after trying everything else on the market.
    Me, too! Frixion marks will iron off. Some worry about remaining residue but I always wash quilts after they're finished and have had great success.
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift....that's why it's called the present.
    Karen

I use Crayola Washable markers and haven't had a problem yet. I haven't done a whole cloth quilt with it yet though. If you use them make sure you soak the quilt in cold water for at least an hour without soap before washing it. Then wash it as normal.

Blog Entries
    I, too am thrilled with them. Thanks for the tip about soaking!!

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymom14 View Post
    I use Crayola Washable markers and haven't had a problem yet. I haven't done a whole cloth quilt with it yet though. If you use them make sure you soak the quilt in cold water for at least an hour without soap before washing it. Then wash it as normal.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeymom14 View Post
    I appreciate this tip. I used them once and had a hard time getting the marks out. I was sick. But then I was trying to wash a king-size quilt in a rather small washing machine, so I don't think it was agitating well enough. They finally came out when I washed it in a front-loading machine.
    DJ_____________________

Sewline ceramic pencils wash off, but do not rub off while you're quilting. They've lasted for me with hand quilting, machine quilting, and longarm quilting, even when I've used a light hand to draw the lines.

They are sold as erasable, but I just use water instead since erasing can stretch the fabric if you're not careful.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I'm a frixion fan, too. I take the iron to it - and what doesn't get ironed off, will wash out when i wash it after i'm finished. I've been working on a king size quilt since Dec and my marks are still there.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I am thinking you mean last to MARK the entire quilt. I still love those blue mark - b- gone but they lose their marking capability quickly without a bit of a cap on recharge. Expect to go through several in marking one quilt. Green Fairy has blogged about that and Diane Gaudynski mentions it in her books too. So I do what they did. I dedicate 3 to 5 pens. I mark with one until it quits making a bright blue mark then switch to the next, capping the first one and letting it "rest", etc. I keep rotating them and I can usually get a whole quilt marked with 3 but I have several new unused ones in reserve. On one quilt I had to switch out again but I didn't start with brand new pens.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Sewline ceramic pencils wash off, but do not rub off while you're quilting. They've lasted for me with hand quilting, machine quilting, and longarm quilting, even when I've used a light hand to draw the lines.

They are sold as erasable, but I just use water instead since erasing can stretch the fabric if you're not careful.
    GhostRider ... I'm still looking for the ultimate marker. When you say the Sewline needs to be washed off ... washed as in the washing machine? Or does it disappear with a spritz of water? Please? and Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast