Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Waverly cotton fabric. >

Waverly cotton fabric.

Waverly cotton fabric.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:22 PM

I noticed at our WM they had a ton of new Waverly fabric in the Home Dec weight. I picked some up for I think $4.97 a yard. I made kitchen curtains with it and I love them! I'm going to need to keep checking for the solids to come in!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:24 PM

I love the waverly fabric. I've used the solid in two quilts recently. The WM here has the solids for 2.97 a yard, and the prints for 3.97 a yard. I liked it better than some Moda I bought at LQS, the Moda ravels too much, but does have a nice hand to it, but so does the waverly.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:34 PM

I have used some in the last two quilts that I finished. I bought it because it was the perfect color for something that I was trying to match and had searched everywhere. Neither quilt has been washed so I don't know how it will last.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:50 PM

I use to work at a interior design store. Waverly is a nice fabric. I'm just glad Wal Mart has started carrying a good fabric.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:52 PM

My Wal-Mart has some Waverley prints. They are very pretty, but since I don't have a need for them, I didn't get any. I hope to have a need soon though. ����
Old 06-01-2015, 03:54 AM

I waited quite some time before purchasing some two weeks ago. I prewashed and expected to pull out a raveled mess full of wrinkles but much to my surprise it had very little raveling and absolutely no wrinkles after drying. I purchased mine to use as background for appliqued sheep . So far I am extremely pleased with the purchase.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:32 AM

I also recognize the Waverly brand as being associated with home decor. However they very well may have added quilting targeted fabrics to their line. I've used many of their home decor fabrics and been very pleased.

Regarding the thread count, unless the threads involved are the same size, it is not relevant.
A smaller thread may very well have more per inch yet not be as dense as a fabric with thicker threads. (Hope this makes sense)
Old 06-01-2015, 06:12 AM

What doesn't ravel? I have Moda, Kona and Northcott that ravel like crazy! I haven't tried the Waverly but will definitely give it a look.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=mom-6;7213313
Regarding the thread count, unless the threads involved are the same size, it is not relevant.
A smaller thread may very well have more per inch yet not be as dense as a fabric with thicker threads. (Hope this makes sense)[/QUOTE]

I know it's really hard to tell the quality by thread count. All the info I found (by quilt shop people) say 60 x 60 thread count is made with short staple cotton and not as good as long staple cotton which isn't as good as extra long staple cotton. Very little extra long staple cotton is grown in the US. Most of the cotton growers in the US grow short staple cotton. I cannot find anywhere, even asked a fabric rep, how to know what staple cotton was used to make what fabric.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by coloradosky View Post
I waited quite some time before purchasing some two weeks ago. I prewashed and expected to pull out a raveled mess full of wrinkles but much to my surprise it had very little raveling and absolutely no wrinkles after drying. I purchased mine to use as background for appliqued sheep . So far I am extremely pleased with the purchase.
Yes, I washed several yards (Waverly) of different colors (all lights) and noticed very very little raveling. I have had some other fabric that raveled badly so this was a nice surprise.