Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Waverly cotton fabric. >

Waverly cotton fabric.

Waverly cotton fabric.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Default Waverly cotton fabric.

I went to Walmart late last night and of course browsed the fabric dept. to see if any new Pellon products were added. The stocker was taking bolts off a cart. I noticed lots of nice looking solid fabric. They were all Waverly brand. I bought a bolt of cream color. It was $2.97 a yard. This morning I compared it to Moda solid and Kona solid fabric I have. I could tell a little difference from the Moda but none from the Kona. I'm going to wash a yard of it to check for shrinkage and raveling. Any one use Waverly cotton fabric? I bought it thinking great for project backings like placemats, etc. But now I think it will be fine in a quilt too.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:50 AM

Waverly was originally designed for home dec. It's a well made fabric that tends to be a little thicker. I've used it in quilts without a problem.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:13 AM

The only Waverly fabric I know of is the home dec kind. I've used it for garments. It's a heavy stable fabric. It would probably be fine in quilts.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I use to buy sheets made by Waverly. They lasted a long long time.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

I think there was a previous post on this fabric. I too only knew Waverly as a Home Dec fabric. Heavier fabric made for upholstery and curtains.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I did some searching. Moda thread count is 65 x 65. Kona is 60 x 60. Waverly is 60 x 60. I also read that 60 x 60 was considered cheap fabric by quilt shops because all 60 x 60 fabric is made with short staple cotton. Kona is good fabric and in many thousands of quilts. I think fabric has changed from the old data used to form facts of a decade ago. It probably isn't the best fabric but it seems to be good fabric. I won't use poly batting or wool batting because it will beard over time with 60 x 60 thread count. I learned this at a workshop about Kona fabric. Cotton batting won't. We were shown many examples of the Kona cotton with different battings used. I don't know if that is still true today though.

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-31-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I went to Walmart late last night and of course browsed the fabric dept. to see if any new Pellon products were added. The stocker was taking bolts off a cart. I noticed lots of nice looking solid fabric. They were all Waverly brand. I bought a bolt of cream color. It was $2.97 a yard. This morning I compared it to Moda solid and Kona solid fabric I have. I could tell a little difference from the Moda but none from the Kona. I'm going to wash a yard of it to check for shrinkage and raveling. Any one use Waverly cotton fabric? I bought it thinking great for project backings like placemats, etc. But now I think it will be fine in a quilt too.
I bought some of the Waverly solids and washed them in warm/cold rinse. I am very happy with them. They have a nice feel to them. Oh, and they were $2.97 a yard.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:57 PM

I just used a cotton in a quilt top. It seems a little thin and it definitely raveled, raveled and raveled some more. Nonetheless, the quilt top came out nice. One fabric from a manufacturer doesn't tell the entire story, so I will definitely give the waverly products another chance.

WM is using Waverly to replace VIP as a vendor. So if there is a VIP fabric you love and count on WM having, buy it now.

Last edited by cathyvv; 05-31-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:39 PM

I noticed the Waverly fabric at WM also and thought it was a little thin. Ii have not bought any yet but I will try it when I need a solid. I wished they carried prints, I don't use many solids except in small amounts.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
I noticed the Waverly fabric at WM also and thought it was a little thin. Ii have not bought any yet but I will try it when I need a solid. I wished they carried prints, I don't use many solids except in small amounts.
I did see a few Waverly solids at my Walmart.