Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding dress quilt

I saw a beautiful quilt at a show made from the quilter's wedding dress and thought I would do the same. I got the dress out and now find that I can't quite make myself do it!! Has anyone been able to do this? I thought it would be a great idea for something to enjoy (instead of hanging in a closet not ever being seen) and pass along to my children, but the scissors just won't move toward the dress!!

I am going to make dedication gowns for my girls out of mine. I cannot wait!

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-76236-1.htm This is a neat post.
    Maybe buy one at a thrift store and see what you can do with it then get creative with your dress. Be sure to post photos:)

Blog Entries
    Even after 30 years I still have a hard time thinking about doing that. The dress brings back such young care free times

I understand as I have the same thoughts. I keep saying I'll enjoy it as a quilt, but just can't quite make it happen.

I have thought about doing this too. One day, I will and will have no guilt. I figure that I will never wear it again, my daughter got married years ago and had no thoughts about wearing it, so it is basically gathering dust and taking up space.
    A few years ago, I made a wallhanging out of my mothers vintage hankies. At first I was leary about cutting them up but after the fact, very glad, because I look at that quilt all the time and enjoy it (instead of having them in a drawer).
    Do you have any photos of the quilt you saw. I would love to see them if you do!

My Mother in law had given me her dress when they were going to be moving to FL. The dress was in bad shape and Dad put it in the trash. I rescued it, and stored it in my attic for a few years.
    The year after she passed away, her oldest granddaughter was going to be getting married. I layed out the satin dress on the floor and there were very few places that were usable. I made a wedding hanky for each of the 4 granddaughters adding lace from the dress and for the 3 grandsons I made a small hanky square that could go into a tux pocket.
    I embroidered each one...Grandma Carol loves you...and the date of her wedding. My niece carried it for her wedding. Hopefully, my son will take his for his wedding.

My sister took her dress apart for me so that I would use it in her quilt. Haven't started it yet and yes, I am a bit scared to do so!

I had never thought of a quilt out of my wedding dress, but I really the the hanky idea too. Would love to see pictures of any of these, too.

I found it much easier when I asked a friend to take the dress and cut the seams for me. Once it was started, I was fine. I've also taken just the train from friends dresses and made pillows, a quilt, a Christening gown and a bonnet. That way the gown is still there - just without the long train.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast