Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wedding dress quilt

To those of you that say your own daughters will never wear your wedding dress, I just want to tell you that I have a friend that wore her GRANDmother's wedding dress and SHOES when she got married.

I guess I am in the minority...my gown is somewhere in the attic and I don't particularly care where. When Ken got home from Vietnam I just wanted to marry the boy and didn't even want a gown. I only got it because it pleased my mom. I couldn't havee cared less...easiest bride my mom had out of six girls! Well, it's been 44 years, I still love him and still don't care about the gown.

I am currently in the process of making a quilt from my daughter's wedding dress. I offered to make it right after I started quilting. And then I discovered how little I really could do well. So it sat and waited for me to get better at quilting and have the confidence to work on it. I do wish I hadn't cut it because I sure would have used the yardage differently now. Her dress was made out of raw Thai silk which presents its own challenges. She is expecting her first baby in July and since she knows about her baby quilt and everything else, this will be a surprise at her shower. I also am using fabric from her bridesmaids dresses. Hope she loves it!

I was in the situation of not have storage room any more for my wedding gown. At the time I also worked as seamstress for our theatre which puts on plays year round. I decided to give it to them along with prom and bridesmaid dresses. They could use them for however they meeded. It made me feel good. I still have wedding pics and have the good memories of goiing to grandma's house for fittings, since she made my gown.

Vat
    I have made several Christining dress out of wedding gowns. Not mine but for others. They were so pleased that their own baby girl was wearing the wedding gown, when in years to come they would never have worn the orginal gown.

I would have never thought of making quilt out of my wedding dress. Of course I did finally cut the sleeves off to make it a evening gown. I don't remember wearing it but I do remember getting divorced after that. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by marthe brault-hunt
    I suggest that you look for Martha Pullen in your Googlr. I saw a couple of her magazines a few years ago, she is a woman from Huntsville,Alabama that spa cializes in vintage clothes, she holds seminars and used to be on TV maybe 15 years ago,
    She's still on TV -- Create TV which is PBS. I can get it in New England and the Mid-Atlantic areas through Comcast. She's on Monday & Friday and still shows, at the end, something from her "attic."

My mother made my wedding gown but my daughters purchased their wedding gowns so....I recycled my gown into a christening gown for grandchildren. It was hard to make that first cut but very worth it in the end.

Blog Entries
    I love the stories about wedding dresses. Thought I would use material from my own wedding dress (I made it) for my daughter's christening but a dear aunt offered a family (2nd marriage) heirloom dress to use. Plus being pregnant and giving birth was traumatic enough.
    My wedding gown is in the attic in original box my mother packed it in. I will be married 45 yrs this September - maybe I'll peek at it then and recall being 102 lbs with 21 inch waist. Oh, those were the days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I made a christening dress for my granddaughter. I'm going to make her a purse and pillow for her wedding day.

Blog Entries
    I made a christening dress for my granddaughter. I'm going to make her a purse and pillow for her wedding day.

Sounds like a great idea. I've never seen one.

Here is the wedding dress throw I wrote about in a previous post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have my mothers wedding dress and it is all satin. I would love to make a quilt. I can't cut it up.

I love the idea of wedding dress quilts. I didn't have a formal wedding dress, just a knee length dress. Think I will get it out and use it for a crazy quilt. I envision using using just it cut into different shapes and highlighting with embroidery stitches, etc. Now to just find the time...

Jane, the throw is so lovely. I'm sure it will be treasured.

I never had a wedding dress and so this has been the most charming thread. How blessed you all are.

I got married in a houndstooth suit, green and white.

I am blessed anyway. Thank you all, Ruth

I bought a dress off craigslist for 50 bucks to make into a quilt. It was so pretty. The lady said she paid over 1,000 for it. I didn't want to cut mine open. My hubby and I want to take wedding photos again at our 10 year anniversary (5 years in and it still fits, hopefully it will fit in another 5:) ) Anyways it was SOOO easy to cut into someone else's dress! If I screwed up too much I wouldn't feel all that bad. I can't decide what pattern to do. So I have the dress apart but it is sitting and waiting. Good Luck!
    Have you chosen a pattern?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm so glad that no one has done this with our family wedding dresses. My niece just got engaged, and at her wedding she is going to have a display of 4 generations of wedding dresses. Here she is in them, but she isn't wearing any of them. They will just be on display. We are so thrilled to have them.

Kelly in her mother's gown 1982
    Name:  Attachment-174087.jpe
Views: 83
Size:  76.8 KB

Kelly in her grandmother's gown 1954
    Name:  Attachment-174088.jpe
Views: 83
Size:  63.1 KB

Kelly in her great grandmother's gown 1932
    Name:  Attachment-174089.jpe
Views: 82
Size:  77.5 KB

They all three look beautiful on her.

She is a beautiful bride!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JanieH
    Yes she is!! But she's not wearing any of these dresses, she is wearing her own, very modern dress.

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Yes she is!! But she's not wearing any of these dresses, she is wearing her own, very modern dress.
    I hope you will post a picture of her after the wedding in her own dress. Would love to see her!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I hope you will post a picture of her after the wedding in her own dress. Would love to see her!
    The wedding isn't until May 2012, so there's a long wait!

What wonderful pictures and the display is a great idea.
    I'm so glad that no one has done this with our family wedding dresses. My niece just got engaged, and at her wedding she is going to have a display of 4 generations of wedding dresses. Here she is in them, but she isn't wearing any of them. They will just be on display. We are so thrilled to have them.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsewer
    What wonderful pictures and the display is a great idea.
    I have to admit I got really misty-eyed at the sight of her in my grandmother's gown (her gr-grandmother). I was very close to my grandmother, who fit into that gown on her 50th wedding anniversary!! Her doctor used to say to her that he could set his scales by her weight each year. Alas, she didn't pass that part down to me! ROFL!!

Here is Kelly in MY wedding dress!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast