Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Weird offer >
  • Weird offer

• Weird offer

Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 PM

When we moved in August, I transported about 5000+ yards (yes 5000) of lycra fabric and put it in a storage unit. I really did not want to sell it, but did not want it anymore either....it had been in my attic for over 17 years. So I listed it as free. Boy did I get people who wanted it. Only one of the people put their phone # on their reply, so I called her - she wanted to make bathing suits for her church members - they were to be worn under a dress. I met her at the storage unit and my DH also came. It all turned out OK, but I would never have someone come to my house - that is way too scary. She must have been a very trusting soul as she brought a young girl with her too. You have to be so careful now-a-days.

I am glad you decided to stay away from the deal - especially after what happened to the father and husband trying to sell a ring!!! What is this world coming to??
    Old 05-11-2010, 08:38 PM

Some of the people out there have counterfiet money orders, yes counterfiet money order!...be careful. If you send an address let it be the police station and make the exchange there. Then you will know if it's for real.
    Old 05-11-2010, 08:54 PM

something sounds strange about this , i would never deal on Craigs list before reading the posts here i was reading on AOL about the man that was killed and his family tortured from a ad that was placed on Craigs list , i have heard so many time bad things that happen when you deal with craigs list
    Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 PM

A couple of years ago a friend of mine lost her dad. She and her mother advertised his motorized chair for sale. A woman called them and then sent a money order but asked her to hold it until she could send someone to pick up the chair. Supposedly this woman was from Canada yet the money order was from a bank in Texas. One delay after another arose until finally the womas said that her mother had passed away so for the trouble, go ahead, cash the money order, take $500, get a new money order for the $4000 left and send it back to her. Luckily they took it to the bank and asked to have it checked out. The bank in Texas knew nothing about it. My friends mother would have had to pay back the entire $4500 PLUS all the fees involved if she'd done it. SCAM SCAM SCAM Usually when people offer more than you ask it's a scam.

However, I have bought several things from Craigslist and have always had excellent results. I think Craigslist is just like anything else--you have to be careful. Plus, I'm dealing with a relatively "small town" listing.
    Old 05-12-2010, 04:55 AM

This morning (Wednesday) AOL has a feature story about the couple who sold the diamond ring on Craig's List. So tragic and so scary. Something useful comes along and there will always be those who ruin it for the majority of honest sellers and buyers.
    Old 05-12-2010, 05:34 AM

We had a customer in our store that had a bad experience also with a motorcycle. He ended up with a bad certified check and found out the FBI was checking on this e-mail form this other guy. Thank God he didn't ship out the motorcycle.
    Old 05-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Listen to your gut reaction. Recently there was an incident where someone had posted something for sale on CraigsList, and a "buyer" came to see the item and robbed the people. Do NOT give out your address and phone number. Try to arrange to meet the people. Rent a storage space for a month and show it there. If you must have them come to your house, be sure you have a bunch of other people there with you. Please be careful!
    Old 05-12-2010, 01:27 PM

Run even the chashier check looks real.. My bank has two of them. Don't do business with him. Let craig list know whats going on.
    Old 05-12-2010, 04:29 PM
    Banned

that is weird, I think I ended up giving Information to a lady on the board and she is new, but the more I thought about it, well she asked quistions like how many children, and said she would meet for coffie, because she was down for a class, and of course something came up. I just got bad vibes. I just hope I did not miss judge someone, as I am so trusting of people. be very careful. My credit is not good secnie we lost our home. but just be careful. God bless you. Penny
    Old 05-12-2010, 06:17 PM

A couple months back I was looking for a cat carrier and saw one on craigslist. I contacted the guy and was told to go look at it and if i wanted it leave my money (after several conversations on the phone)I went in during the day and got the carrier and left my money. Not all craigslist are bad. Just be cautionious. (didn't read all posts )