Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A braided table runner--boy this was weird to make!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I had to laugh at the directions. It said something about pouring some tea and being done with this before it cooled. :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock:

It was fun--and easy ONCE I understood the directions. One puzzling area was that it said to cut 4 2" strips from what was left of a fat quarter, but there was only enough fabric to cut 3--but they weren't needed anyway. (It said to cut a 21" by 9.5" piece off and then there's NOT 8" left. Right?)

I've never used fat quarters before--but I had a few on hand from sales. I picked a few I thought matched okay--hey--they all have green in them! :D

I love to put bindings on--but how to I do this one at the sides? Do I treat them like a corner?

And she adds yet another piece to her pile that needs quilting. Oh yuck. Jackie? Are you there? Can I send all these to you? :wink:

I added a close up so you can see the colors.

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Oh, I like it and think the fabrics go together just fine. You should be able to bind that...just like a corner with a miter..right?? I have faith in you that you could quilt it too :lol: :lol:

Good job and hey...the colors go just great in my kitchen...need my addy?

I think it looks great!

I've made alot of these.... I just do the bindings as you do when you come to the corners of a quilt....

Yours is beautiful by the way! I've given most of mine away, kept one for myself!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Patsy--how did you quilt yours?

I printed out the directions for this one also, I'm glad to here I'm not the only one that wasn't sure of the cutting directions.

I really like yours, I hope to get mine done sometime this week.

Mona

I just quilted in the ditch.....here are some pics of some I did
    Attached Images Attached Images

On the last two with the hearts I machine appliqued those on and then quilted around them as well.... being your center is blank you could put any quilting design in it...and it will look great!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Patsy--those are cool!! I never would have thought to make a quilt square for the middle! You're so creative!! That looks easy enough to quilt. (although NOTHING is easy to quilt for me :roll: :? )

When you sewed the binding around that side part that's not quite 90 degrees, you took it out, arranged the binding, and started again--just like a corner?

I was so scared to trim the sides--I read the directions over and over. It's one that is a lot easier the 2nd time. :-)

Love your runner! How have you gotten through life without fat quarters????

Karla....ya know...the more I think of it....I only did that on the end corners....for the 4 "short" corners I think I just stitched to within 1/4 inch and then with needle down, turned the whole thing twisting the binding to line up with the next edge..... I hope that kind of helps explain it.... after reading your post I went over it in my head and realized I did do those corners that way!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Harmony--I never owned one until there was one the perfect color for a scrap log cabin I was making. I just cut it into strips. I've never known what purpose they served compared to buying yardage. I recently bought more on sale at Joannes for barns/grass--and since this pattern called for fat quarters and the directions were going to go easier if I used them, I hunted around to find some that'd work.

I still don't know the advantage over yardage except cutting ease? FQ at one shop were $2.50 each! That'd be paying $10 a yard!! The owner said no one thinks of it like that. :lol: I'll buy them if they're $1 or under.

bj
    I really like the colors you chose. When I put the binding on a table runner, I found the corners at the 135*angles worked just like a 90*angle. I just did it like I was mitering a square corner.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think I know what you mean, Patsy. I'll know more when I get there. :D I'll leave the needle down and take it from there. Thanks!

Oh jeepers bj--now I'll have to try one thing on each side. :!: :!:

Oh your runner looks gorgeous, actually, i dont know what to do with fat quarters either lol

Blog Entries
    Very pretty colors, good job on the piecing too :D

Barnbum...it's really pretty!

Directions---inquiring minds want directions to make some of these beautiful table runners! I love 'em-----is there a website, or just follow direections for French braid?

http://www.quiltbus.com/tabletopper.htm
    Quick Table Topper - Free Quilt Pattern for a tablerunner

Very pretty! That one has been on my list. Thanks for posting the pattern Country Quilter.

i love all these wonderful braided runners. must you use bias for the binding??

Love all the table runners shown. Great jobs ladies!

I don't use bias binding ever..... I guess I would if I was going to do a scallop edged quilt binding but otherwise I usually strip my bindings along the salvage edge of my fabric if I can, if not I cut from salvage to salvage. I do believe its a personal preference. I know some quilters that won't use anything but bias binding.

I love it! On my list... would look pretty w/ christmas theme! Or any holiday actually.....

Thanks for the link, Patsy!!!!!
    It is much appreciated! :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast