Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY finished the next 5 French braided table runner tops.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I wanted to finish them over my week off--but the weather was too nice! (Did that sound like a complaint?? :wink: ) So, I've worked on them from 7-9:30 PM to get them done. (I'm in the classroom all day and in the pastures till 7ish--grooming the shedding equine.)

They'll have to wait to be quilted, I'm tired. (Is there a sleeping smiley :?: )

Speaking of quilting them--I'm going to keep it simple--in the ditch. Do you think any quilting needs to go in the middle? (Please say no, please say no. :lol: )

Also--what price would you put on them? They're for a craft show.

I hung them out this morning so I could show you. As usual the color is werid. Do you have a favorite?

Close up to see pretty colors. Distorted from the breeze.
    Name:  Attachment-8471.jpe
Views: 334
Size:  87.2 KB

All together now--stop wind!!
    Name:  Attachment-8736.jpe
Views: 330
Size:  72.4 KB

I made a quilt out of these three fabrics--I couldn't decide which looked best, so I made one of each.
    Name:  Attachment-8908.jpe
Views: 330
Size:  79.9 KB

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Here's the other close ups I just knew you'd want to see. Isn't that daisy on maroon unique? I found it online somewhere. Maybe ebay.

Sometimes I love them all--sometimes I think some look too stripey. Striped? :? You know what I mean. :D

Color is weird here--basket weave is a beautiful green and the daisy is a rich one.
    Name:  Attachment-8508.jpe
Views: 316
Size:  83.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really pretty!
    Nope, just do what you are intending on doing with the stitch in the ditch.
    Nothing more needed.
    My favs are the 1st 3.

lin
    Those are all so pretty I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite. I do love that daisy fabric a lot though. :) You did a great job on all of them!

I'd love to say "no" about quilting in the middle, but imvho, I'd say that's a large enough area to get "shifty" when washed, if there aren't any stitches to keep the layers together. Some battings say you can go up to 10" without stitching, but I personally don't trust that. Maybe these won't get washed much, but then again, maybe they will, and I would hate to think that lovely straight and excellent piecing could get all puffy or stretched out of shape in the wash. Just mho though. :)

These should sell with no trouble at all!! They'll go like hot cakes. :D I have no idea how you should price them though. I"m sure others here have more experience with that and could help you out.

Blog Entries
    here's the deal: if you mean you made all those tops in ONE 2.5 hour period then you have to make it up to those of us who would take all day on a single runner. add lots and lots and lots of quilting. :lol:

if you mean you made them in a series of 2.5 hour periods .... then you're off the hook. ditch the suckers. :lol:

Those are awesome! If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with the gardening one - maybe just because I'm ready for Spring around here! Great Job! :D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Patrice--SEVERAL 5 min-2 hour phases. Like on commercials during American Idol---after weeding and raking the garden (have to scrub hands after that!), after getting stalls ready, correcting papers, taking horses for walks....

Believe me when I tell you-it took hours. :?

If I have to put something in the middle--what can I do without messing it up? :?: :?:

Of course, these can be quilted in the summer AFTER I've practiced with my new quilting book of lessons. :roll:

DJ
    Lovely work!

As for the centers, I don't know why you can't keep it simple and just follow the same straight line pattern of stitching at the same width as the strips down to a center square. I don't think you need to do anything fancy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    DJ__I know just what you mean! Thanks! Im brain dead--I'm glad someone's creative. I love it here. :D

My favorites are fourth from the left - blue and green - and the daisy with the basket weave. Like others, I have no clue how to price them, or what folks will pay. I know you'll never get what they're worth in light of your time, but as I tell myself when I sell something: at least I've more than covered expenses; those are dollars that weren't in my pocket before; it was a "labor of love"; and the sold item is out of my sewing room or closet. That doesn't help you much, though, does it?

Blog Entries
    you should fish around on the internet to see what similar runners go for.

:lol: Congratulation
    You have done a great job..They are all very nice....I really admire all the things you are doing using strips.....I should start cutting strips too...
    Thanks for sharing :D

lin
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    Lovely work!

As for the centers, I don't know why you can't keep it simple and just follow the same straight line pattern of stitching at the same width as the strips down to a center square. I don't think you need to do anything fancy.
    I think that's a great idea! Perfect. Holds it all in place, but doesn't compete with the beautiful fabrics or the precise piecing! :)

Izy
    Barnbum - They are all lovely - I bet they are even better than we can tell, as you say the colours are distorted. I just love that gardening one, its soooo cute!! Hope you get a fair price for them!! :D

As a quilter who makes lots of table runners and sells them all, I would keep the quilting very simple. The more quilting, the higher the price you should put on them.
    I sell all of my runners at $22, but that has alot to do with the area that I live in. Plus I would rather sell 10 runners at $22, then 1 at $40-50. But make sure you at least double to triple the cost of materials you have in them.
    Also I do not put a binding on mine, so that saves alot of time put in them. Just layer your batting, backing and top and then turn after sewing together. Quick and easy!!!! Thats the name of the game for me.

triciasquilts....I'm intrigued by the fact that you don't use any binding...What do you mean by- then turn after sewing together? :?: :?:

Barnbum - You are no bum if you can do all that after teaching and pasturing!! :!: They are beautiful. You are very productive.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Belinda--I'm pretty sure she means to turn it inside out. Some folks do that with quilts. :shock: There's directions to that in one of my quilt books, but I'd never do it.

I have done that with Christmas ornaments. :D I'd had to practice how to layer them before sewing around to get it all in the right place. :roll: I didn't like stitching up the spot left open to turn--it didn't always look good.

I'm not sure about turning them--I think I'll like the whole product better if I go through with a binding. But it wouldn't need a binding... Maybe I'll do a few of each.

I like the wall hanging size. Maybe I'll never go back to quilts. :wink:

stay-at-home--I usually don't try to quilt during the week because it's just too much to fit in.... and it lost it's joy when I did the last two days. I don't have a deadline, so why did I push it?? :roll: :roll: :roll: So--I actually sat on the couch with hubby tonight to watch who went home in American Idol. So relaxing.... :D No quilting for a few days...

Barnbum, those are great, should sell well. My fav is #4 blue one.

Barnbum! Great runners! I like quick small items too. I don't hang wall hangings but they are quick and fun to make. If I put a table runner on MY table no one would ever see it for the stuff Hubby covers the table with but I want to make a few just for fun and maybe take them to a craft sale and see if I can sell some. As to American Idol! Hubby not only watches all the shows but puts them on DVDs! If you forget who won when let me know and I can find it for you. :lol: :lol: Even have the Gives Back shows. :roll:

joy
    I have nearly finished one of those, quilting is the next step then I can put the binding on.... I thought of stitching in the ditch around the large square in the middle and the smaller squares... or else stitching a quarter of an inch inside the squares.... do you think that the "fingers" should be quilted as well? You have got me worried now about the large square... maybe I should have a go at handquilting something easy in the square.... haven't done any quilting before so this is going to be interesting I don't think !!!

Love all your runners and I am sure anyway you finish them will be just great.

Barnbum, I've got a great way to turn my runners where I can sew all around every side of it without leaving an opeing on the sides. Its really hard to explain though. But I guess I've been doing this for so long that people have a really hard telling where I even stitched up the opening. I always have those quilters who examine my sewing and always turning the sides of everything to figure out how I did it!!! I always think its funny.
    I do craft shows every weekend, so I have to be able to turn out alot of product fast. So I will usually do 5-6 table runners in one day. I've found the more choices I have, the more I sell!!!

Barnbum - you could finish the runners with a serged overlock if you have a serger. I use Pearl Crown Rayon thread. it's not cheap but it saves time. - once you get the hang of it that is. it does take some practice. You can see my placemats on the Picture site. I'm going to put them there now. It does look more commercial tho. Depends on what look you want.

Love the daisy print, so I'd have to pick one of those as my fav, probably the one with the lighter fabrics. I would put some quilting in the center, maybe just concentric squares, if you want to stick to straight lines.
    You are so prolific! If you could bottle up your energy and sell it, you would make a fortune!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast