Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well I jumped in ... >

Well I jumped in ...

Well I jumped in ...

Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM

After about 4 years in the local quilt guild I volunteered for an executive position. It's offical I'm going to be the VP! I'll be the the youngest VP the guild has had (I'm only 29). So my question for all of you is what is your favourite part of the guild meetings?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations, on your new position. Since I am not a guild member I am not familiar with guild meeting agenda's, but my suggestion for the executive of any organization is to keep the business portion of the meeting on track, and try to make the balance of the meeting varied, nobody wants to sit through the same thing time and time again.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Congratulations on your new position!!

My favorite parts of the meeting are the programs (sometimes) and show & tell (always) :D
Old 05-24-2010, 03:49 PM

In Lancaster PA where I'm born and raised until 2 years ago, our Red Rose Quilters Guild donated 150 to 200 quilts to the local Abuse Center each year. They would give EACH child that came to the center a quilt for comfort. I loved these meetings when we came together to work on the quilts. Maybe 4 a year. Some woman would tie the quilts, machine quilt, construct new quilts and share ideas. The best was "the joy we felt working on them together".

I agree also....show and tell was wonderful. Just as it is here on this site. It's my favorite part.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:07 PM

Congrats and well done volunteering for the executive!

I'm a newbie to my local guild too, and signed up to a subcommittee and am also doing our website.

Some of the things I was looking for in a guild was inspiration and fellowship. Inspiration is all around at the meetings - block of the month, show & share, cuddle quilts, ChildCan quilts.

The dynamo who is in charge of the block of the month, worked a new twist this year - they've asked for a donated block as well as making one for yourself - and they're making quilts for ChildCan out of the donated blocks.

The guild is a great way to contribute and serve the community and quilt and quilt and quilt!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:25 PM

Show and tell is my favorite, but our guild adopted a small local nursing home and we provide each new resident with a quilt made by one of our members. They range from lap/wheelchair size to small bed size. Our other fun project is to gather for a work night and make cushions/pillows for the local humane society. Our local quilt shop collects unwanted fabrics and scraps of all kinds. We have a couple ladies cutting the fabric in sizes from 16" sq to 36" sq and the next group sew them together leaving one end open. Next group stuffs them with the scraps and pass them back to the sewing gals to close them up. One evening our guild of 12 ladies made 117 pet pillows. We also have a work nite for the linus quilts. When you do it as a group community service is a fun time for everyone.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:26 PM

My favorite part is the show and tell. And when we get a speaker that shows a lot of their quilts.
Also a favorite is 2x a year when we have our quilt give-a-ways, the donated quilts are "paraded" around the room so we can all see them. The last couple of times we have had over 300 quilts at each of these give-a-ways.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:03 PM

Congrats on your new position. I have been a member of my guild,The Vallejo Piecemakers, for over 20 years and during that time I have held just about every position. As far as meetings go Show and Tell is always fun and inspiring but when I was vice president my favorite part was finding local teachers for our programs. I think in some ways the VP has the toughest job getting programs and keeping everything fun.
Enjoy your new role. Try to keep it fun for everyone, including yourself.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Google Goddess

Congratulations! Enjoy your new position and have fun. I belong to 2 guilds. We just had a Workshop on a Saturday and was so much fun about 12 ladies attented and we made reversible table runners.

I love show and tell, workshops, speakers and sew days.

Craftybear
Old 05-24-2010, 06:23 PM

Congradulations on your new position. I will be the treasurer for my guild starting in August. One thing we do is for your birthday month you bring in a baby quilt that is donated to one of the local hospitals. Which reminds me I need one for next month. :lol: