Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is "half strips" >

What is "half strips"

What is "half strips"

Old 01-12-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
I wonder if they mean half the width of fabric? There would likely be some variation there.
That is correct. Different manufactures have different widths of fabric and because of this it creates different widths of 'half strips'.

They use them because it is easier to work with the 'half width' lengths.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I don't know if this has anything to do with your directions, but I googled "Making Quick Quarter Quilts" and it brings up Eleanor Burns Quick Trip Quilts. I assume it is the bonus quilt in the book using Fat Quarters.
Not a bonus quilt, it is one of the patterns in one of her books. There is no matching of seams and that is where the 'quick' part comes in. Quarter is that all 4 'quarters' of the quilt are the same.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Sounds like an Eleanor Burns pattern it means to make your 4" cut width of fabric and cut it in half so you have 2 4"x21" pieces
Old 01-12-2011, 10:39 AM

Those are definitely instructions for making a bargello quilt.Or in your case maybe it's a bargello *block*. I think half strip is half the width of the fabric since bargello instructions call for strips of the full width. The book I used was Margie Edie's Bargello Quilts. The instructions were clear and easy(??)to follow.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158780.jpe  
Old 01-13-2011, 07:41 AM
bj

It sounds a little like the quick trip around the world quilt by Eleanor Burns. After you sew the tubes together, on one tube set you cut at the seam, on the next tube set you cut in the middle of the strip. That's what makes your seams offset each other. It gives kind of a stairstep effect. That's the way I did the strips on this quilt for my sil.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-3580-1.htm
Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
could it also be a bargello quilt in the making? cutting into strips and then sewn into tubes and recut.
Thats what I was thinking too maybe a bargello. I watched a cool tute on making tubes this morning. I got it from a post on here and man I am glad I watched it, I want to make one and I would have done the tubes totally wrong. LOL
Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by QUILT4JOY
Those are definitely instructions for making a bargello quilt.Or in your case maybe it's a bargello *block*. I think half strip is half the width of the fabric since bargello instructions call for strips of the full width. The book I used was Margie Edie's Bargello Quilts. The instructions were clear and easy(??)to follow.
That is a beautiful Quilt.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:16 PM

Could mean you didn't get the full instructions
Old 01-13-2011, 03:26 PM

Half Strips: This means 1/2 the width of the fabric. Most fabrics are 42" to 44" in width. Half strips are 1/2 of this. The fabric has been torn at the fold line, or cut. That creates 1/2 strips.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

I agree with kbonafede. A half strip is half the width of fabric in length. If your fabric is 44" wide, the half strip is only 22" long. The term is used seldom enough that it really should be explained before it is used.