Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is "half strips" >

What is "half strips"

What is "half strips"

Old 01-12-2011, 08:00 AM

I am new quilter and have instructions only (no picture) for a quilt that sounds very interesting. The title is Making Quick Quarter Quilts. It says to "Arrange and stack 4" half strips..." What are half strips? It also says that the half strips may be different lengths. :?:
Old 01-12-2011, 08:08 AM

could be it means strips of different lengths? Like scraps from your scrap bin? what size do they want you to cut them into? Maybe google that quilt name in images and see what pops up? You could get a blog of someone who has made that quilt and you could ask them via their comment box or return address. What is the name of the pattern?

Beth in AZ
[email protected]
Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 AM

I wonder if they mean half the width of fabric? There would likely be some variation there.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 AM

A friend gave me copied sheets of the instructions only and I have no name for the quilt; the 4" half strips are to be sewn together side to side (for full/queen/king size: 4 each of 24 fabrics); then the ends are sewn together to make a "tube"; the tube is then cut into sections (crosswise). It is difficult to explain. I am guessing that "half strips" means that the fat quarter is cut into 4" strips and then the strips are cut in half????? But I wanted to make sure before getting the rotary cutter out and starting cutting.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Banned

not enough info...could mean making quilts from fat quarters of fabric. But need more infor for source. You say you have instructions but no pattern. How did you get the instructions. Where did they come from. From a book or on the internet etc.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 AM

That is what I was guessing. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I don't know if this has anything to do with your directions, but I googled "Making Quick Quarter Quilts" and it brings up Eleanor Burns Quick Trip Quilts. I assume it is the bonus quilt in the book using Fat Quarters.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
could it also be a bargello quilt in the making? cutting into strips and then sewn into tubes and recut.
AHA!!! I never knew what a bargello quilt is....after your post I looked it up and GADZOOKS! There it was. I started on this site only this morning and have learned so much from you all. Thanks to everyone who responded to my question!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Eleanor Burns refers to "half strips" when she's talking about strips cut from the width of fabric and then cut in half, so that they're only about 22" long.

She prefers to use "half strips" because they're less cumbersome.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 AM

Eleanor Burns does half strips all the time. She cuts full width strips and then cuts them in half on the fold. It makes it easier to sew and press because they are shorter.

Half strips (like whole strips) may be slightly different lengths because fabric is not all the same width.

LOL! I guess we were posting at the same time!!