Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: What am I doing wrong with Tumbling block quilt

  1. #1
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,021
    Blog Entries
    1

    What am I doing wrong with Tumbling block quilt

    I have been working off and on. ( ok More off then on) on this quilt for my son since May. I have cut a lot but now that I am putting it all together I am afraid I am doing something wrong. I have taken a lot of pics, hoping you ladies can help me out. Not only see what I am doing wrong but also to get some motivation to finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by quiltingfan; 09-25-2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: pictures wrong

  2. #2
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    1,ooo miles from home
    Posts
    13,140
    Blog Entries
    2
    well here is some info on them-
    http://quilterscache.com/T/TumblingBlocksBlock.html
    http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/tumbl...cks/index.html
    ( I am going to see Marci Baker next week at my sewing machine store)

  3. #3
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,021
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    well here is some info on them-
    http://quilterscache.com/T/TumblingBlocksBlock.html
    http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/tumbl...cks/index.html
    ( I am going to see Marci Baker next week at my sewing machine store)
    That is so cool. I am using her book. By next week I will know if I hate her or love her... Just kidding. Love the book. ;-)

  4. #4
    Senior Member kristakz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    624
    I'm not sure why you think something is wrong. It looks fine to me. The picture of your design wall looks lovely, and I think if you follow the layout you're going to have a wonderful quilt when you are done. Is there something specific that you are concerned about?

    Oops, I do see one mistake (?). In the strip you have separate on your table - you have 2 white triangles sewn together. I think the left-hand section (the 2 pieces you had with a white triangle that is now on the right) should have been turned 180 degrees before you sewed it together. See circled section below.

    Name:  DSC_0097 1.JPG
Views: 3948
Size:  157.3 KB

  5. #5
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,021
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
    I'm not sure why you think something is wrong. It looks fine to me. The picture of your design wall looks lovely, and I think if you follow the layout you're going to have a wonderful quilt when you are done. Is there something specific that you are concerned about?

    Oops, I do see one mistake (?). In the strip you have separate on your table - you have 2 white triangles sewn together. I think the left-hand section (the 2 pieces you had with a white triangle that is now on the right) should have been turned 180 degrees before you sewed it together. See circled section below.

    Name:  DSC_0097 1.JPG
Views: 3948
Size:  157.3 KB
    Ok I see that. What about the fact that the points don't really match up, and that there is sections that hang out more than others? Is that a problem in the over all quilt?

  6. #6
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,670
    Blog Entries
    2
    The tumbling blocks I made are all 60 degree diamonds not triangles. I haven't made this version.
    Got fabric?

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    19,667
    ​It is going to look awesome! You have it on your design wall so do 1 row at a time to keep straight. It does look difficult but you can do it! When sewing triangles together, you have to have the little dog ears bypass each other by the same amount. I would pin my pieces and flip them open to check the placement and then sew them. This might be a time when the Elmer washable glue might assist in proper placement?

  8. #8
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    15,444
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
    Ok I see that. What about the fact that the points don't really match up, and that there is sections that hang out more than others? Is that a problem in the over all quilt?
    For me, it would be - but that's me.

    If your sewn together pieces are laying flat enough to suit you and you can live with cut off points, finish it off and call it a learning experience. If this is done consistently, then it will look 'the same' throughout the quilt top and you can say that you planned to do it that way.

    For next time, when you sew the shapes together, the triangle tips should end up being 1/4 inch from the edge - it looks like on most of them on this one, the point/tip is at the edge - and then when the strips are sewn together, the point disappears.

  9. #9
    Super Member quiltingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    1,021
    Blog Entries
    1
    thanks everyone. Bearisgray, that is what I was wondering about the most. I will finish cleaning the bathroom and then will work on it some more.. huh I hope it works. I sure have a lot of pieces cut that I did not even take pics of.

  10. #10
    Senior Member kristakz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
    Ok I see that. What about the fact that the points don't really match up, and that there is sections that hang out more than others? Is that a problem in the over all quilt?
    I didn't even notice. I do tend to have trouble with points, and don't really notice if they aren't perfect on quilts. I think other's addressed this already - sewing triangles/diamonds together is quite tricky. The alignment to make sure that your point ends up 1/4" from the outside edge can be difficult, and in my experience it's a case of trial and error until you get used to it. In any case though, I think you should proceed, and work to improve your alignment as you move forward.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.