Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Was The Best Class/Teacher Experience You've Had? >

What Was The Best Class/Teacher Experience You've Had?

What Was The Best Class/Teacher Experience You've Had?

Old 11-24-2014, 06:25 AM

I've taught and was just asked to teach again (don't know if I'm ready to do that again).
1. Have LOTS of samples (at least one for each step), so you can show what your doing and what the class will be doing. Some people are not able to understand without seeing what your talking about.
2. Have LOTS of handouts for each class (I found that if you can break down some of the steps, this helps slower sewers to not feel so slow), this will help more after class when they are at home (I always left room for notes on the handouts, because people have questions or problems when at home and don't always remember in class).
3. I always had some examples of early sewing (mistakes - seams not meeting up, etc....), remember you will have people thinking that they should be able to make a prize winning quilt after the first class even if they have NEVER sewn before (and yes you might have one or two who can - lol).
4. I always left time for questions along with show and tell. You will have people who can devote a week to each step and others who only have an hour. So when they get together they like to talk about what they have done on should have done, along with what they want to do this next time or how to change what they are doing.
5. I also tried to have a list of web sites for what I was teaching (as you know one person can not be the only teacher for all. Each person learns at a different speed and in a different way, I found that I could lay the groundwork during class and help as much a possible after class, but a little extra visual always helps some).
6. I also tried to show with examples of how one pattern looks with light colors or prints vs dark colors etc., or how the pattern looks with the blocks turned or moved around.
My goal was to try and help, but also show that each quilter is going to see something different in a pattern or fabric than the next. And that that's OK, better than just ok it's GREAT. And as quilters we need to think outside of the box.
Good luck, have fun. Because if your having fun, your class will too.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:33 AM

My best experience is an adult education class that I took and made many new quilting friends that are lifetime friends now.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:37 AM

I do not like most Classes where the instructor is working on her own copy of the project instead of trying to help the rest of us. Diane C
Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Took a machine quilting class from Harriet Hargrave. I didn't think I would learn anything more but I walked away with a lot more knowledge of machine quilting then when I first entered her class. I have been a big fan of her's ever since.
I think I took essentially the same class! She came out and did a class for my guild, it was a great class. She's a good teacher - reading over this thread I think she did all of the things people are asking for. On time, good list of supplies and prepwork to be done ahead of time, good hand-outs, well-paced class... Class was fun and I walked out feeling confident and inspired.

I've only taken a handful of classes and I haven't been to any yet where I was disappointed. I've had fun and learned things at each one. I think if the teacher is enthusiastic and excited about what they're teaching, that goes a long way. And generally being on-time, organized, and willing to answer questions.

I also like it when it's planned out so that there is some unstructured time towards the end of class. Time to work on the project a little more or to experiment a bit, time to ask some questions of the teacher that were may be not entirely relevant during class-time, and time to socialize and wander and look at what everybody else has done. Though, most of my classes have been through my guild, so that might feel different if I were in a room full of strangers.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 AM

My first teacher had piles of fabric and asked us to choose 3 different combinations of fabric that we would use together. She had us pick a large, medium and small print. light medium and dark shades. Then we looked at our choices backward thru a pair of binoculars. It was immediately evident which combinations didn't work as some of the fabrics got "lost". I now carry a door peephole with me to use in selecting fabrics. Many people struggle with the choosing of colors. The next time I took a class from her, she informed us that we were going to design our own wall hanging. I was furious with her! I am not a designer. Funny how that turned out! I DID design my own wall hanging and learned the most valuable lesson of all. I can design or alter any pattern to suit my needs. God Bless her for challenging me.
Patricia
Old 11-24-2014, 07:06 AM

My favorite teacher was Pat Syka who has written two books: Bear Paws and Red at Night. I had no knowledge of her achievements prior to signing up for the class which was sponsored by our guild.

Pat was organized, provided handouts and samples, wandered about helping everyone, and could break down techniques in clear and concise steps. I often recall Pat's advice about not getting discouraged because your first attempt is not perfect. She suggested we reinforce the successful steps by doing another block. Sometimes the second attempt will be easier and we can go forth. With the completed second block we will keep our confidence. Perhaps we won't even need that first block when auditioning blocks for our project. Thank you, Pat!
Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 AM

hands down... any class taught by Diane Flynn formerly of Pieceful Quilting in Riverhead NY. She gave such attention to everyone's needs. Techniques and tips galore. But the best thing she gave me was condfidence. THAT is a gift I can not thank her enough for. Diane made us believe in ourselves. If there were quilting police around, they found they had no place in her classes. Diane, wherever you are, many many thanks
Old 11-24-2014, 07:58 AM

Best class I've ever taken was a free Craftsy online class BOM 2012 with Amy Gibson. She's a great instructor.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 AM

I accidentally got into a sewing and then a quilting class when I registered for upholstery and found out I could switch the time for that class for a sewing and quilting class in our local technical school. Each class is $25 for seniors, what a bargain. I have been in the two classes (and upholstery) for three years. The sewing teacher knows enough about quilting to help, but the afternoon quilting class is taught by a quilter. She is very good, and has a good eye. We all bring our own projects and questions and she helps us with questions. She also brings small projects for us with handouts, along with information on how to do things, like cut and sew bias binding. Both teachers have a show and tell, and we all learn from each other as well. The group is fun, and we all have made friendships with similar interests. In fact, I went on a quilting cruise with one of the other students (who has been quilting for 40 years), and we became fast friends. So the social aspect of the class replaces the work family I had. And I did not know how creative I really could be. By the way, I started sewing in grade school and have been off and on since.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:38 AM

My best classes have been with a hand sewing instructor (i.e. applique). She has made the process so easy that all her students turn out beautiful work. She always has samples in various stages and explains everything in detail. She walks around the room and gives help where needed. She is always available to offer help, even when the class is over.

My worst experience was with a teacher that had designed the pattern. She wouldn't let anyone complete a step; she just jumped in and took over. If we were pressing, she stopped us and did it for us, instead of telling us how to do it, such as which way to press seams. Her pattern (for a wallet) was very poorly written. My friend, who missed the class, could not figure out the pattern and she is a very accomplished seamstress. This teacher was very condescending.

Fortunately, most of my experiences have been good ones!

Edit to add: That darn wallet ended up costing us $85 by the time we bought all the extra for it!

Last edited by quiltin-nannie; 11-24-2014 at 08:40 AM.