Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Took a machine quilting class from Harriet Hargrave. I didn't think I would learn anything more but I walked away with a lot more knowledge of machine quilting then when I first entered her class. I have been a big fan of her's ever since.
I think I took essentially the same class! She came out and did a class for my guild, it was a great class. She's a good teacher - reading over this thread I think she did all of the things people are asking for. On time, good list of supplies and prepwork to be done ahead of time, good hand-outs, well-paced class... Class was fun and I walked out feeling confident and inspired.

I've only taken a handful of classes and I haven't been to any yet where I was disappointed. I've had fun and learned things at each one. I think if the teacher is enthusiastic and excited about what they're teaching, that goes a long way. And generally being on-time, organized, and willing to answer questions.

I also like it when it's planned out so that there is some unstructured time towards the end of class. Time to work on the project a little more or to experiment a bit, time to ask some questions of the teacher that were may be not entirely relevant during class-time, and time to socialize and wander and look at what everybody else has done. Though, most of my classes have been through my guild, so that might feel different if I were in a room full of strangers.