Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 64

Thread: what can cause thread to break?

  1. #11
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,418
    Blog Entries
    20
    These two machines probably will use the same needle.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Rhaorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    574
    well I found a package of kenmore needles that were with the machine... they are color coded, I checked the chart in that other thread, and no clue what the numbers mean and what would be good for cotton wovens.

    Kenmore color codes
    Kenmore colors its needles with a different system of color codes which indicate the needle's size:

    Shank color Shaft size Shaft size (europe)
    blue 11 75
    orange 12 80
    red 14 90
    purple 16 100
    green 18 110


    I have one of each of these... which one should I use?

  3. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,934
    Blog Entries
    1
    new needle or possible a good cleaning under the bobbin area.

  4. #14
    Super Member ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,477
    the recommendation for needles is to change your needle with every new project-or every 8 hours of sewing time-which ever comes first- and fabrics like flannel, denim, heavier fabrics or knits will dull your needle faster than sewing regular quilting cottons. any time your stitch quality is poor the first thing to check is ...when did you change that needle last???

  5. #15
    Senior Member Rhaorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by romanojg
    new needle or possible a good cleaning under the bobbin area.
    I took the bobbin and assemble stuff in there, removed the foot plate thing, cleaned out all the lint, oiled it and reassembled, and it still makes the snick snick noise, and breaks the thread off and on

  6. #16
    Super Member ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,477
    the needle size type needs to match the thread being used- not the fabric=
    visit the superior threads web site- they have free charts that will tell you what each needle is for- what thread to use with it- the weights and sizes- you can download the chart= print it and always have it hanndy.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Rhaorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    the recommendation for needles is to change your needle with every new project-or every 8 hours of sewing time-which ever comes first- and fabrics like flannel, denim, heavier fabrics or knits will dull your needle faster than sewing regular quilting cottons. any time your stitch quality is poor the first thing to check is ...when did you change that needle last???
    I have never changed the needle (had no clue they got dull, I know duh... new with machines though... I feel stupid... I should have known... but now I do)

  8. #18
    Senior Member Rhaorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    the needle size type needs to match the thread being used- not the fabric=
    visit the superior threads web site- they have free charts that will tell you what each needle is for- what thread to use with it- the weights and sizes- you can download the chart= print it and always have it hanndy.
    wow lot more to this than I ever though. I am just using coats and clark regular thread.. (I know that is not much help) let me go look at the spool then check that site)

    says coats and clark all purpose polyester covered polyester

    not sure what the other numbers are.

    Thank you all for the info, going to be in another window while I check that site about threads.

  9. #19
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,881
    Blog Entries
    2
    Is your needle in backwards?

  10. #20
    Senior Member Rhaorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    574
    miriam, nope, it only will fit one way, flat on one side.

    I think it is what people suggested, dull needle, being I have not changed it and have sewn denim.

    I am just not sure what needle to replace it with.
    (I checked the website mentioned above and do not see anything to help with coats and clark all purpose thread)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.